SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Seeking opinion of an experienced Kohler engine mechanic

baymee
16 years ago

I am just plain stumped on this engine's problem.

It's a Kohler 16hp in a dealer model Cub Cadet. Cub has its own spec on this engine because the model is a CH16 and officially there is no such thing.

It has an ignition module/coil and a spark advance module.

The owner was mowing grass and after about 15 minutes, it started backfiring and then shut down. After awhile, he restarted the unit and it ran for another 5 minutes and started backfiring again and wouldn't restart.

I thought about checking the flywheel key, but the conditions under which the engine malfunctioned didn't indicate it.

The Kohler troubleshooting guide suggested it was the coil.

I replaced the coil because all the professional opinions suggested it, even though it had spark. The old coil and the new coil both had spark that can jump 3/8 inch. I have tried several new spark plugs, because they get wet from no-start cranking. The compression at cranking speed is 90#, the battery is fully charged and the gas is fresh.

Upon cranking, it acts as if the timing is "off" and makes no attempt to start, although it does backfire through the exhaust and once in awhile through the carb. Even with a shot of starting fluid, there is no change. The only thing I haven't changed is the spark advance module.

I've been an engine mechanic for 37 years and this has me baffled and I hate to buy the spark module without having cause to replace it; I'm not a parts changer.

Any Kohler people out there.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions