SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walt2002

B&S Vanguard Versus Intek Engine

walt2002
15 years ago

B&S Vanguard verses Intek Enngine

I have done a lot of engine rebuilding but not recently. I am not experienced with the current B&S "V" twins and have been curious when I keep hearing how much better the Vanguard is than the Intex. A friend, who does a lot of mower work, dropped off one of each last week. Ill give my quick, short impressions and go into detail then for ones who are gluttons for punishment.

The Vanguard is a cluttered engine with brackets, covers and fasteners all over it. You need to use a digital camera when disassembling it. It utilizes many of the familiar B&S parts such as fuel pump, regulator, alternator, starter, oil fill tube design, flywheel screen design, etc. Parts are really out of line price wise, $75 for a new piston and rings, about $55 for a connecting rod and $62+ for a gasket set. They area a pain to work on when it comes to serious repair.

The Intek is much more intuitive and much less cluttered when disassembling and re-assembling it. It had the same accessories, fuel pump, etc., as the Vanguard. Unfortunately, new connecting rods are apparently not available for it with out buying the crankshaft and both connecting rods as a set. The camshaft is poorly constructed in my opinion. I could find no indication of a compression release and the B&S Repair Manual makes no reference to a compression release.(?) The air cleaner assÂy left much to be desired and the entire plastic cooling shroud/cowling, were a turn off.

That said, I could find no significant difference in the construction of the basic engines. Both had sturdy and very similar crankshafts, cylinder blocks were comparable; both were full pressure lubed with filter. The heads were a little different but I did not see any advantage to either, both had the same rocker arm assemblies and adjustment assemblies. Both were of the nearly square design  bore/stroke. The Vanguard had an excellent air cleaner assÂy, the piston skirts were a little longer than the Intek, (good) the Intek connecting rods were a little heavier than the Vanguard. Both had spindly push rods of the same diameter and construction Of course I had no way of checking the metallurgy of the components.

The Vanguard had a beefy more conventionally constructed camshaft part of which may have been because the compression release mechanism was partly inside it releasing compression on the exhaust valves. The throttle/governor control assemblies were nearly identical. The Vanguard had a cast aluminum intake manifold while the Intek had a plastic intake manifold. I donÂt like to see that. I did not see any provision where a low oil pressure switch could be installed on the Intek.

Thank goodness that both have much improved head bolt patterns over the B&S single cylinder OHV engines. Vanguard using 4 equally spaced large bolts, the Intek using 5 somewhat varied pattern smaller bolts.

I would have to say I think the Vanguard is the better engine but not the difference I had expected and not much at all as far as the basic engine components are concerned other than the camshaft.

I thought both had pretty good Repair Manuals, I had seen some criticize at least one of these manuals. The Vanguard Manual gave minimum ring gap which is the first time I have seen them do that in a long time and for those who have seen my other posts on the subject, it was .008" which is what I have been saying I used.

Both these engines were "junk" engines the Vanguard having thrown a rod, wonder why since it had a low oil pressure switch, maybe gas contaminated oil? The Intek worn out from swallowing too much dust I think, from someone not getting the crappy air cleaner closed properly? I would have considered both repairable IF the parts were as reasonably priced as the old flat heads or even the 28 & 31 series OHV engines but $300 in parts plus my labor is not worth the gamble. I could find no aftermarket source for parts for either of these engines.

Comments welcome.

Walt Conner

Comments (6)