SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wb3ffv

Trouble with Briggs Vanguard 21HP Engine

wb3ffv
14 years ago

I have a lawn tractor that has a Vanguard 21HP engine, though the tractor is a few years old, overall it's had very little runtime, only up to about 70hrs total.

I started having a problem then end of last season where after it had been running for 15-20 minutes, it would start missing and backfiring on occasion. I could easily feel the drop in power, as though one cylinder was messing up.

I figured I had it a couple years, so let's just do a full maintenance run on the tractor. So I replaced the oil, oil filter, air cleaner and pre-cleaner elements, I also replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs (which the plugs looked OK).

Sure enough, it was still acting up, but as mentioned above, only after it was hot from running for a while.

I then took it to the next step, and cleaned the carb, changed the fuel and added a little cleaner, but still no luck. Now I took a more drastic step, and replaced the ignition coils/plug wires, and at first I thought I might have nailed it (must have been a cool day) and I got the yard cut, but alas it it still acting up.

Has anyone run into this, or have any ideas on what I should look at next to get this sucker running right?

It's a Vanguard Model 385777 engine, type 0349-E1. I just picked up the Briggs service manual for it, so hopefully I will find something, but figured I'd ask here as well..

Regards, and thanks for any input..

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions