SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medicnmk

21 hp Briggs with issues

medicnmk
13 years ago

So last season I had to take my Craftsman YS4500 to a shop to have it repaired as it was smoking badly while under any kind of load and the guys at the shop said it was the head gasket, fixed it and off I went. About three months later the mower became very sluggish and stalled in the middle of cutting grass. I promptly replaced the battery, spark plug, and fuel filter in hopes of a quick cheap fix. Not so much the case. I was able to get it started again, but at full throttle, the engine was barely above idle as though it was starved for fuel. I blew out the carburetor and tried again with no luck. Next I replaced the carburetor, again with no luck. So I began reading forums including this one and felt that I was more than likely dealing with maladjusted valves. So I decided to do the work myself. Upon removing the valve cover, the intake valve tappet fell into a vertical position, still connected to the stud which had begun to back its way out (yes, the stud not the nut at the end or the lock screw), but was no longer touching the push rod or the valve. Disturbed by the sight I decided to turn the flywheel by hand to see if everything else moved as it should. The exhaust valve and push rod appear to be fine and cycle while turning the flywheel, however, the intake push rod does not cycle at all. Not even a small nudge. My questions are, what would cause this and would I be better off buying a new mower/engine? The engine numbers are 331877-0805-E1, code 070316ZD

Comments (8)