tom_gw

Briggs and Stratton 21 HP Vanguard Problem - Idle up and down

Tom
13 years ago

Model: 385777

Type: 0349-E1

Code:04042211

2002 or 2003 Model I believe.

Hello everyone. As most, I found this site via googling that I was having an engine problem. My issues is similiar to the post here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0615082010926.html

My mower starting doing this thing where it would idle down a little bit when mowing - I could hear it losing power momentarily, then recovering. The problem steadily got worse. I tried all the usual stuff - plugs, fuel, air filter, etc. It actually got a little better with a new air filter, but would eventually come back. I took it to a small engine shop and they charged me a bunch of money just to basically spray carb cleaner in it and do the oil and stuff again - I was not happy, but anyway - the problem still exists. I ended up purchasing a new carb and it still had the same issue, even with a brand spanking new carb. What it is doing now is running fine for about 5 to 10 seconds, then "cutting out" for 2 to 5 seconds and blowing black smoke during those couple of seconds when it "cuts out" - It never actually dies from this. Well I take that back. It will die eventually if the air filter gets even slightly dirty. I mean as in I can't even mow my whole yard one time and it starts to slow down considerably and then just stop. But the problem still exists even if I take the air filter completely off. Now that I have ruled out carb, I want to think it would be a valve problem and that black smoke is oil maybe?? getting into the combustion chamber? Or it is dumping too much gas in there? I'm at a loss for what to do now. That other post mentioned valves and I would like to check the valve clearances if someone could direct me to the right info on how to do that. I really don't think it is a fuel issue, but ehh what do I know. Thanks so much for anybody that responds!!!!! I needs my mower to work!!!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions