SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfreak_gw

Mind if I introduce myself? (with pics of my trees too)

greenfreak
16 years ago

You were so helpful yesterday with my Black Cherry ID and I thought I'd introduce myself... and some of my trees... :)

I'm Tricia, my husband and I just moved into our first home in November. I've been a gardener for years, and although our plot is average for a NY Long Island suburb (just a hair shy of a 1/4 acre), I want to make it count. I've been a gardener and member of GardenWeb for years, and to have my own parcel of land to cultivate is a dream come true.

The previous homeowners prized their privacy and thus, allowed dense plantings close to the property line. I plan to thin it out, prune, transplant or just dig up some of it. We have some straight lines of tall, thin shrubs used as privacy screens too which don't look so hot.

I forgot to mention, I also enjoy photography so expect lots of pics. :)

First up, Betlua pendula 'Youngii':

November 2007

{{gwi:331281}}

Today

{{gwi:331282}}

Is it strange that I like this better now, than when it had leaves? I'm thinking of doing some pruning to show more of the bark, it's just so beautiful.

This is a Maple that I may have to call the town about taking down. It's on their 'property' since it's only a few feet off the curb. It's dropping large branches, the one on the bottom left is gone since this picture was taken:

{{gwi:331283}}

I can count at least 9 thick branches that have broken off, not been sawed off. They also planted a line of shrubs (arborvitae?) right between the trunk and the sun. As you can see from the moss, there isn't much light there.

{{gwi:331284}}

My other problem child is the Elm that is too close for comfort:

{{gwi:331285}}

You can see the roof line of my house on the bottom left. This picture was taken in August, so I was surprised to see very little foliage on the bottom branches.

Our cesspool was just to the right of the Elm and when we had some problems with it, they cut some pretty large roots to get access to it. That cesspool was replaced with a better one but now I'm concerned even more.

I also have a couple of spruces, a japanese maple, holly, another tree I'll photograph and try to ID in the next few days... I will be looking to replace the Maple and Elm if they do need to come down, and look forward to reading the forum for information!

Thanks again for the help yesterday. :)

Tricia

Comments (27)