SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechicken

Question about rebuilding a 10 year old Homelite trimmer

homechicken
12 years ago

Well its not a complete rebuild, I'm just replacing gaskets, primer bulb, fuel lines and filter. The gaskets (crankcase, cylinder head, etc.) have what looks to be a red sealant around them. Should I use a gasket sealant on them or is this red stuff just a pre-applied sealer. I'm not messing with the carb other than to replace the gasket where it attaches to the engine and replacing the primer bulb. I don't want to rebuild the carb until I know for sure I have to. I started tinkering with the engine when it died a few weeks ago and discovered the primer bulb had a small hole in it and every time I pressed it I got gas all over my finger. I also noticed a lot of the bolts were loose, the cylinder head bolts were loose enough to easily turn by hand with a star bit driver. The crankcase bolts were not very tight, and so on. I think between the primer bulb and the loose bolts, that may have been the whole trouble. Oh, I'm replacing the spark plug also, it still has the original one. I've done nothing to this thing in the 10 years I've owned it except change the air filter and make sure I ran it dry of gas after each use so none was sitting in the carb. I guess considering that, its held up like a champ.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths