SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbrennan_alexva

ANOTHER 4-cycle trimmer question

dbrennan_alexva
16 years ago

Here we go again, another question about 4-cycle trimmers (Must be all the damn soy latte-drinking-Toyota Prius drivers...)

I'm looking for a straight shaft trimmer with a budget of $200-$250. I was looking at 4-cycles for the lower emissions, lower noise, easier starting (according to some), and improvements in weight reduction vs the earlier 4-cycles. The top-tier brands like Honda and Robin get amazing reviews, but are out of my range. The only other 4-cycle models I can find are at Lowes/HD/Sears but they are all the "lesser" brands (Craftsman, Ryobi, Homelite, Troy-bilt, etc.). I don't want a 2-year use-and-discard trimmer!

Given my price range I'll likely be looking at entry-model Stihl's and Echo's and making the same tradeoffs/comparisons as so many other posters on this site. But it really sucks that there are no mid-range brands/models that offer the 4-cycle. Unless there's one I don't know about?

All that being said, do you have any suggestions for $200 straight-shaft trimmers that are a little bit more quiet and "better" with emissions as compared to typical run of the mill trimmers? Or am I just kidding myself?

On a side note, I don't really buy the rationale that the 4-cycle is a fleeting fad and will go away. If that was the case, then Honda and Robin wouldn't be moving any. (Much like the Prius hybrid technology) I think the 4-cycle engines will improve to the point where that design eventually replaces the old 2-cycles. However, it may be 2015 by the time that happens.

Comments (7)