SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjwould

know-it-all neighbor

pjwould
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm a typical suburban gardener and have the most intrusive neighbor. I'm wondering if you can help me get her off my case.

She has a crazy idea that I need to buy mulch every year. What's up with that? I totally love the look I have: little white stones (each 1"-2") spread around every tree and shrub, in an inner circle surrounded by another circle of black recycled rubber tire mulch. Yup, they look like targets, which looks beautiful and lasts forever. And I don't have to keep replacing all that pesky "organic" mulch made of "pine bark nuggets" or "shredded leaves." Every fall, this nosy neighbor spends all her time, and I mean all of it, running around, filching bagged leaves, chopping them up, and spreading them in her yard. Yuck! all that dust and all those bugs! She tried to give me some last fall, and I said, "No thanks!"

Plus she doesn't have any kind of life! I have better things to do. With my system and pretty stones, I have to do the hard work Only Once and I'm done. Then I can Party Party Party.

Beneath the circles of white stones and rubber bark, I lay out several sheets of black plastic. I like it even better than landscape fabric, but that works too.

My interfering neighbor told me that my plastic, stones, & rubber mulch won't "feed" the soil. Well, geez! I told her, "That's what Miracle Gro is for!"

She also says that there are better ways to kill my weeds. I gotta say, Roundup is my new best friend. All I have to do is take it, aim it at the weed, and zap it good. That pretty much takes care of the offender. When I really want to get rid of a stubborn weed, I spray it in a wide circle around the weed, say about 2 feet in diameter, just to make sure I get the sucker.

Then this neighbor told me that Round Up will kill the worms. Well, so what? I don't like those slimy worms anyway. They just crawl through my flower beds and are all disgusting.

She says I should build a compost pile. (Ick.) She suggests I start it with leaves and twigs I rake up in my yard. And she says to add kitchen scraps to the leaves + twigs. I ask her, "Why throw my kitchen scraps in a pile when I can just shove them down my sink?"

Finally, she says I ought to use my corrugated cardboard in my yard. I can cut it into little pieces and put it in my so-called compost pile, she claims, or I can lay out flattened cardboard on the ground, cover it up with lots of dirt and mulch, and make new beds that way. (Yawn burgers with a side of snores.) Excuse me? Why make beds this hard way when God invented rototillers? I mean really.

Any ideas about how I can handle this Nosy Nellie?

Thanks in advance,

~pj

the perplexed

Comments (40)