SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_nj_gw

Pressure Washer Unloader Problem

jay_nj
17 years ago

IÂve got a 5 year old 2100psi Sears pressure washer. It has a Tecumseh engine with a Briggs & Stratton pump. I bought it from a neighbor last year  rebuilt the pump 100%. The problem is when IÂve got it running and pull the trigger thereÂs no high pressure kicking in, (incidentally, the unit had this problem when I bought it). IÂve got a low / high adjustable nozzle, (pull for low pressure cleaner application and push for high pressure). In order for me to get the high pressure going, I haved hold down the trigger and then pull and push the nozzle quickly like a shotgun cocking action. IÂm pretty sure itÂs the unloader. I bought a replacement  installed it this afternoon. There was quite a bit of hard water deposit on the old valve. Once in, the machine ran as it should; pull the trigger and high pressure kicked in, but after about an hour, I was back to cocking the nozzle. Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening and how to correct it? Now, the unloader assembly has a rather strong spring in it. IÂm thinking of cutting a small portion off to make it shorter, thus lessening the pressure against the unloader piston. I figure the lesser pressure on the piston may give the valve a bit more sensitivity when it comes time to engage / disengage. But then again, it may have the opposite affect?? IÂm open to suggestions.

Jay

Comments (9)