SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
convexles72

Please define Rocky Mountain 'CLAY'

ConvexLes72
15 years ago

I moved from North Dakota, to The Front Range in Colorado... and I keep getting very confused over basic soil terminology as it's used around here. Please help. I really need to understand what this is... so I can find a way to amend it.

In North Dakota..."CLAY" means: thick, heavy, poorly draining soil it usually ranges from whitish-gray to blackish gray in color... but it's smooth, as in... there is no grainy texture to it whatsoever. When wet, it gets very soft, slippery, and squishy. When really wet... it almost acts like really thick paint.

In Colorado, along the front range when they say "CLAY"Âare they talking about that reddish- brown ultra-compacted ground that looks like terra-cotta clay pots the stuff I actually broke a shovel on the other day? Because to me that red stuff feels really grainy... more like "SAND" or finely grained decomposed granite.

"Sand" that I was used to in ND... it dry's really fast. Water drains right through it. This red stuff here in Colorado... it seems to stay really damp in the shade...so I would think of it as poorly draining. But, it also seems to get hard as a rock in the sun. After it's baked like that... water seems to run off of it at the surface...rather than penetrate.

"Sand" that I'm used to in ND doesn't harden like that in the sun, but "clay" in ND does. I think this is why I'm getting so confused. The red stuff feels grainy, like sand... but acts more like clay in some ways.

In ND, I might ammend clay soil by adding "sand"... but I would think adding "sand" to whatever this red stuff is... would just make it worse.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Comments (18)