SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Most Rust Resistant Red Antiques?

Hey Everybody,

I assume the answer I'm looking for will be Cramoisi Superieur, Louis Phillipe, or Ragged Robbin, but what are your best reds for those who deal with rust?

I have personally never really been moved by any red china in person. I don't know what it is, but they just don't appeal to me a whole lot. I do like Archduke Charles but that's more a pink-red blend. What besides the red chinas -which are supposed to be great here- might succeed in a rust and mildew prone environment?

I can't grow European once bloomers or Rugosas and most reds amongst HPs, Bourbons, and Portlands seem to be plagued with mildew and/or rust from reputation. I don't mind a failure or two, but I don't like just slowly killing a plant not meant to be here.

I very much like the color red that General Gallieni finishes in this area, which is surprisingly dark red. GG is a blend though, so I'm looking for a true red. I have a solidly medium to dark red color in mind. I don't mind reds that have a tendency to blue or appear purplish at times.

I'm aware that Prospero might do well here. I wouldn't mind something that would benefit from fanning out in the long run.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Comments (26)