SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laserfan

10x12 HFGH Lessons Learned

laserfan
17 years ago

I'm almost done with our 10X12 HFGH and am very, VERY pleased with how it's come together, and the quality of the components. Having built (and cursed) an Arrow metal building in the past, this kit has been almost a piece-of-cake by comparison. I have had problems for sure, but nothing in the way of missing parts, parts that don't fit, or parts that have broken or stripped or... well I'd say the manufacturing of this thing is excellent. Most of my problems have been with the instructions, but here are some major points to look out for:

1. The base is flimsy by itself--I really like my method for using 4x4 landscape timbers to secure it.

2. The manual says Corner Posts install with two holes on the bottom. NO, the two holes are on TOP! Arrgh!

3. Corner posts should be steadied right away with diagonal braces, not at the end as in the instructions.

4. Using the #30 braces top-back doesn't work very well. I found a nice piece of 12' aluminum in HD's flashing area to trim and use instead.

5. The IMPORTANT POINTS about inserting extra bolts in the channels are always wrong--apparently the square tubing used for bracing is new vs. the originally-shipped parts. Be prepared to go-back and add bolts where you missed them the first time!

6. I can't imagine building the roof on the ground and getting it up there without bending the heck out of things. It was VERY easy to put the 8,9 diagonals up first, and then the Crown/ridge, and add the other diagonals one-at-a-time.

If it's calm today I will hang the doors and install the panels--maybe more to come but again I'm very pleased. This thing is much sturdier than I'd have guessed given all the hand-wringing about it here. Thanks to oraylawson, gardnerwantabe, muttchaser & others for leading the way.

I'll update pics and add details as I get time...

Here is a link that might be useful: Laserfan's 10X12 HFGH

Comments (20)