SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhouse_gw

Installing an exhaust fan in the HFGH 10x12 (photos)

mudhouse_gw
16 years ago

I just installed an exhaust fan in my HFGH 10x12. It was an easy installation, but Ill post photos in case it helps other new owners of HFGHs.

We used this fan calculator to determine that our greenhouse would require a fan capable of exchanging roughly 1500 CFM (cubic feet per minute.) I ordered a 16" three-speed louvered exhaust fan from ACF Greenhouses. The three settings are capable of 2950, 2050, and 1200 CFM, so at the highest setting IÂm thinking it should exchange the air in our greenhouse about twice a minute.

We installed the fan in the high part of the back wall. First we removed the Rear Center Panel (part 57.)

{{gwi:307557}}

One of the modifications we made to the back wall was the addition of a small brace made of ½" x ½" aluminum angle (so we could screw the upper poly panels to it.) Now, we had to cut part of the brace away to install the fan. (This is called Lack of Planning.)

{{gwi:307559}}

The fan came prewired with a 9Â cord, and four mounting holes. We bought a 4Â length of 1/8" thick 1" x 1" aluminum angle from LoweÂs, and cut it in half. We drilled four holes in each piece of aluminum angle; the two center holes were used to bolt the aluminum angle to the top and bottom of the fan.

{{gwi:307561}}

The aluminum angle bolted to the fan was then attached to the greenhouse frame by inserting bolts into the track.

{{gwi:307563}}

Time to cut the hole in the polycarbonate panel. I measured the outside of the fan, and the space on each side of the fan, and marked the hole on the panel with a permanent black marker. The poly was actually much easier to cut than I thought it would be; I laid the panel on cardboard, and used a sharp box knife and a metal straightedge.

I won't be afraid to cut more holes in my poly panels if I need to...I was relieved to find it cuts very easily.

{{gwi:307566}}

HereÂs the panel reinstalled over the fan. I caulked the small gap on all four sides of the fan with clear silicone caulk, to keep rain and cold air out.

{{gwi:307568}}

The installed fan from inside the greenhouse. It works! At the highest speed it's noiser than I'd like, but I guess that's to be expected.

{{gwi:307570}}

IÂm thinking IÂll have to figure out a cover for the louvered outside portion of the fan during the coldest winter months when itÂs not in use...to prevent air leaks...is that what you folks do?

Sheri

Comments (19)