SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

I need a climbing/vigorous rose for my mother

jeffcat
12 years ago

Alright here is the situation I am faced with......don't mind my ATV...haha....just look at the deck in the background. As you can see, she planted some random roses....no clue what they are....on the side of the deck(unfortunately north side) in the hopes that a rose would grow up and sprawl out and fill out the side of it all the way across the railing on the side of the deck.

{{gwi:262819}}From 3-1-2011

Those roses aren't quite vigorous enough. While it is on the north side, it does get enough sun as soon as the rose gets tall enough to get past the bottom of the deck. This new climbing rose will be planted in between those 2 roses. So here is my predicament:

-Needs to be relatively disease resistant

-Needs to have good rebloom....colors don't matter, but she tends to favor rainbow or mixed/multi-color roses.

-Vigorous enough to spread out between along the railings

-Thorns are fine, but the less thorny the better

I've already had experience with New Dawn and Zephirine Drouhin, but New Dawn is a bit too thorny. Any suggestions?...don't care if it's english, antique, or modern, although I tend to favor old blooms forms. :) Ultimate goal is for it to sprawl out left and right and fill out the entire side of the deck, but I'm a realist and realize that's probably not happening so something vigorous that will just sprawl left and right and fill out part of the deck.

http://www.noagentproperty.com.au/file/64577/11633/634315405872919967.jpg

Comments (9)