SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Okay, this is wierd

C Schaffner
14 years ago

My carpet rose sent out this about one inch wide shoot with these little tiny buds on the end. Is this common?

{{gwi:262456}}

{{gwi:262458}}

{{gwi:262460}}

Comments (34)

• catsrose
    14 years ago

Looks like RRD (Rose Rosetta Disease).

• kublakan
    14 years ago

Looks cool, whatever it ends up being.

I agree with Catsrose, it could be RRD or it might be damage caused by an herbicide. Have you sprayed an herbicide around this rose bush lately? It could also be a random mutation.

Don't expect the rose buds to develope into anything normal looking. If I were you I would cut off any forming buds from this cane in order to help the rose preserve its energy for healthy growth. Be careful to thoroughly clean any shears used to cut this plant, just in case.

Adrian.

• Related Discussions

Are my butternut squash being wierd?

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Ania, I'm in zone 5. At the beginning of the season for quite awhile, I had these green/petaled-type blossoms for awhile. Eventually, the butternut squash started making the yellow flowers. Maybe that's what your plant is doing?
    ...See More

Some stuff I've been doing...

Q

Comments (44)
    Luckygal, I have been saving toilet shards for a while now, they were smashed up with a sledge hammer!!! I have about 2 five gallon bucks full right now so I will have to go get some more...our city just had a big toilet upgrade rebate, buy a new low flush and get $50 rebate, and the place I was working at was the recycle depot in town,so that's where I get the smashed toilets(they are destined to be recycled into aggragate for paving....)Here's my Throne, it is 4ftw x 6ft tall.(That big blue ashtray is just like someones ashtray here used for a totem....) Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

I've got wierd fish!

Q

Comments (1)
    You may want to set up another tank, a 10 gallon, with shale or clay pots to breed the convicts. They are easy to breed and fun to watch them rear their young.
    ...See More

Handyman installed multiple in-line traps????

Q

Comments (2)
    Double traps (consecutive traps in series) are expressly prohibited in the plumbing codes. REf. International Residential Code IRC-3201.6 Uniform Plumbing Code- UPC-1004.0 You stated you hired this person so it stands that he/she accepted payment for the work. I would not hesitate to call this person and tell them you expect this to be corrected to CODE STANARD immediately (Today) and if not you will file a complaint with the local plumbing inspection dept. In most jurisdictions it is a violation of law to contract plumbing services without a license and for good reason. These type of "Jacklegs" rip of the public and give a bad rep to the honest hardworking tradesmen/women who do the job right the first time.
    ...See More
  • Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Wow..that is weird. Hey, keep sending us pictures..let us know what happens!

• schifferle
    14 years ago

Also known as Witches Broom. I had a rose once that looked exactly like the 2nd photo. Let's hope that it isn't your rose's problem. "Rose Rosetta Disease. ThereÂs no cure for this disease, once a bush has it, the bush must be removed, along with all roots...
    Once, only a concern for the eradication of wild roses and carried by a mite from spot to spot. The disease was so contagious, the diseased bushes were ground up and spread around the wild rose growth to infect more bushes. These bushes were considered unwanted weeds and the practice was continued until it was realized the cultivated rose bushes were succumbing to the disease as well. Rose Rosette Disease (RRD) is a virus spread by a mite, the symptoms vary, depending on the species of rose affected. Some of the more recognizable are rapid elongation of new shoots (what I call "feathery looking leaves), with red coloring. The trouble is, new growth in roses is usually red, but in a healthy bush, the red turns green after it develops, with RRD, it does not. Canes on some can develop excessive growth of unusually soft and pliable red or green thorns, which may become stiff and grow in great masses. Flowers may be distorted with fewer petals and with abnormal coloring. A diseased plant may exhibit few of these symptoms, especially in the early stages and by the time the symptoms are severe enough to recognize, it is likely to have spread to neighboring plants. Left on itÂs own, your whole rose garden could become infected... If you notice any strange growth on a formerly normal bush, you could cut that cane off, down to the ground or the bud union. Then if growth seems normal, youÂre all right. ItÂs just better to be safe" (https://home.att.net/~kalrosesociety/news/Nov05.htm) The virus stays in the soil for years unfortunately and you can't replant another rose in that same spot.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

No, not RRD. It is a developmental error in the formation of the stem called "fasciation," not common but well known. It is harmless except in that it is wasting plant energy.

• schifferle
    14 years ago

That's very interesting. Well known maybe, but not by me anyway. I have to say that I've never heard of that before so I looked it up: http://www.rosefanatics.com/book/export/html/49. I hope that's the case. RRD Ugh!!!! Look at these pictures: http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg1100562612269.html. They look exactly like yours and it was attributed to facination. Thank goodness!

• everyrose
    14 years ago

No No No NO!!!!!

This is fasciation!!!!!

It is nothing to worry about!!!!

Not every weird thing is rose rosette disease. Please please be careful about misdiagnosing potentially fatal diseases. Pelicanhead or anyone could wind up panicking and ripping out a perfectly healthy rose.

Just cut out the cane or keep it--if you like weird things and want to see what happens. It will do no harm.

Sorry about the strong language--I just don't want to see a perfectly good rose shovel pruned.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My rose is in a pot, so if there was a problem with it I could just pitch the whole thing. I think I will watch it for a while and see what happens. At first I panicked but it sounds like it is just a wierd growth. I've had this rose for about 3 years and this is the first time it did this.

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

The key is in the earlier photos where the stem isn't a single cane but a cane morphing into a cane that is several canes making an odd oval in cross section...and when the terminal bloom develops, you see the odd tightly spaced blooms.

Ususally the rose will keep part of it alive and part of it will die.

(And fasciation isn't just a rose thing, but happens in many plants. In spring, in a field of dandylions, you'll probably see two or three dandys with fasciation.)

• brother_cadfael
    14 years ago

I've had that on my purple Culver's Root many times.
    BC:)

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

Same plant of Culver's Root? (I don't know what Culver's root is.)

I also wonder if fasciation can work through the vascular system of a rose easily. There's nothing in the literature about it.

• villarts
    14 years ago

Mutant rose fans, has enyone ever seen roses like these...These canes produced beautiful roses for the past two years. Two years ago I planted this rambling rose bush on the west side of my garage. It grew up on a trellis beautifully and gave gorgeous flowers. Last fall I trimmed it down to the basic canes I wanted. This spring started out sprouting as I would have expected. After a late frost it begun dying, it seemes-see picture(now it looks like it will recover). Also I sprayed it with melothione. Two buds that appeared normal grew to look like sunflowers. The center of the rose grew to about 1.5" with dwarfed petals around. The center is like a seed cluster. Are these seeds? Never seen anything like it in a rose. Can't find any reference in the internet. Something similar came up as a desease called rossette. Is this normal or the desease?? Your comments and suggestions are welcomed. Request photos at villarts@hotmail.com. Thank you. Arturo

• anntn6b
    14 years ago

Different states have different Rose Rosette Disease pressures right now. I've got a pretty good idea the extent of the disease.

Mutant roses are sad, some are caused by herbicide but in the eastern half of the US, RRD is the culprit very often.

Take some time to read my e-book and see the pictures. Start with the FAQ at the top of the page and then read some chapters.
    I'll be back on line late this afternoon.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette E-book

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, hould I pitch this plant? It was an inexpensive one from Home Depot. I don't want anything to spread.

• amandahugg
    14 years ago

This is obviously fasciation. The fasciated form of some plants are actually highly prized...especially by arrangers. Fasciated mullen is especially sought. The next growth is likely to be normal. Just let the strange stem tell you where it wants to regrow. It's hard to pinpoint a growth bud on something like this.

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

I just found this today, but I have seen it before. I think it happens when I give too much fertilizer, sometimes I do that.
    {{gwi:262461}}

{{gwi:262462}}

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Pelicanhead, Ann was talking to Arturo, not to you. There is no doubt that what you have is fasciation. Just cut the fasciated stem off at the base and stop worrying.

Ramblin', your picture shows what is known as "bent neck" (duh, big technical term!). It is also the result of a development error. There is no external cause.

• henryinct
    14 years ago

I noticed a long time ago that oddly enough Double Delight and Double Perfection have somewhat of a tendency to form double centers so the rose is in effect a siamese twin. As I understand it this is a characteristic of fasciation.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Michaelg, I was starting to panic again.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Updated pic

The stem split in half and has tons of buds ready to bloom

{{gwi:262463}}

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Uh-oh. Be sure that thing isn't moving around.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:262450}}

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL Thanks for a good laugh

• violet14
    14 years ago

Wow i didn't know roses could do that, i haven't had much luck with mine, some green caterpillars like them very much though so far insecticidal soap seems to work on them and the aphids, but then i had winter die back so now i will mulch better this winter and see what happens!

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Wow! that is one "funky-lovely" mutant! It almost looks like a cross between a cactus and a rose! You'll have to post its bloom madness when it blooms! can't wait to see!

MichaelG, that poster was pretty funny too!

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update. Bloompalooza

{{gwi:262464}}

{{gwi:262465}}

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Oh my God. It is trying to attract a mate.

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

I am LMAO, MichaelG!

Had it not been for your wonderful descriptor Michael, this is what I would have written:

Pelicanhead, your rose is trying either do: a flash tango, with all its mega blooms...trying to seduce its viewers

or 2.) it's trying to imitate a tree rose!

Anyway, cheers to your spunky rose... It is looking very fun and feisty!

• buford
    14 years ago

very cool, thanks for posting.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

HOly MOly! That is some rose!!! Wow, i would give her an extra feeding...that had to have cost her a bunch of energy, poor thing!

Michaelg, hahahahaha!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

Maybe fasciation isn't so bad. All the flowers look beautiful.

Many succulents and cactus do this as well--same as fasciation?, they are called the monstrose or crested versions. Some of them are quite attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crested cactus

• lainey_6b_va
    14 years ago

I had a carpet rose with an identical anomaly. I cut it off, took it to the extension office. They sent it to the university where it was diagnosed as rrd. I cried as I dug out a huge rose, 6X6, that bloomed nonstop, then waited several years before I replanted a rose in that spot. The rrd came back in Fourth of July the next year. I found wild roses growing on a nearby wooded area and sprayed herbicide for years before I could get rid of them. Don't take it lightly.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

In Southern California, in "funny" weather years, we have this happen. Not to worry.

Jeri

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

uh, Lainey, this is definitely not! RRD....there are several indicators why it isn't... (just one of the blatant signs that it is fasciation is the very succulent,huge flattened stem). RRD does not have this huge broad flattened stem... And if you look online for images of fasciation on Google you will see that it is indeed fasciation. We are laughing because it is a very spunky, funny rose! I personally love it because I like funny bloomers like orchids and cactuses... they're genetic oddballs but full of "personality" and character... Anyway, I am very sorry to hear about your RRD.

Pelicanhead I'll be interested in the puzzler of...how will you deadhead your Green-Giant Cactus Rose...hee-hee! I wonder where the new baby stems will come out from...

Amandahugg wrote: The fasciated form of some plants are actually highly prized...especially by arrangers. Fasciated mullen is especially sought.

Pelicanhead, I would think yours makes "Best of Show" with that eyeboggling color-whopper display...Cheers and congratulations!

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG I didn't think about deadheading. How will I even attempt that. This has definitely been a "funny" weather year.!!!