SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stealthecrumbs

Early season observations and a newbie Thank you

stealthecrumbs
12 years ago

As I sit here typing, we are under a freeze warning here in my part of North Carolina. Michael, you might laugh at me if you drive down Fenner and see all my roses "protected" from the weather... I have no idea if they needed to be covered with frost blankets but I went out and bought them just the same. I can't stand the thought of losing all those flowers! Yes, almost all my roses are starting to bloom and I am overwhelmed by the sheer splendor of them all. I will truly be devastated if a late freeze hurts them.

Last year I was a newbie (and still am) rose enthusiast and you all gave me such great suggestions. Thank you! I planted a good number of roses last summer and fall and I have 14 more in my pot ghetto. And I'm still considering ordering more! So far, my favorites are:

Quietness... she was a late addition sent from Chamblees last fall and she is already 3 feet high, 2 feet tall and covered with flowers. OH good golly!

Marie Pavie- Love the shape of the bush, low, mounded and absolutely smothered with flowers right now. Ordered more because I think she will be a work-horse.

Souvenir St. Annes- small still but already blooming

and of course Carefree Beauty who is also already covered with bubble gum cheery blooms and already several feet high.

I love Quietness so much I just ordered another! I am thinking the Buck roses will do well in my yard. I also have Country Dancer and she is a robust plant with several buds. I am considering Prairie Star and am searching the archives to see what other Buck roses others like.

Waiting for Penelope to bloom.

Pretty Jessica has given me two glorious flowers but she is a tiny thing. Just a band last year and I am still learning how to nurture bands.

Anyway, thank you all... I am looking forward to learning more this year!

Nichole

Comments (2)