SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stormz4

Emerald Ash Borer

stormz4
14 years ago

Hello all. First time posting on the tree forum. Thank you in advance for opinions and advice as I need it. I have five Fraxinus (Summit Ash) trees on my property. Last week a city rep stopped by and informed me that the city was removing the Ash trees in our neighborhood that are planted on the boulavards. Our trees are aprox. 15 yrs. old. Very lovely and not infested by the Emearald Ash Borer. However the infestation of these trees have now been found north of the area. I have been aware of and have researched the problem for a few yrs. now. I do know how important and devistating this is to our trees and many in this area. It is spreading at an alarming rate. I have sent a note to the city forester and will be hearing back soon. Problem #1 The web site provided is to learn what the cities alternative trees is not correct and therefore the 10 or so suggested replacements are not available at this time. So I would like some suggestions that I could possibly do some research on and make an informed choice. #2 The tags on the trees read that the tress are condemned for 3 reasons. No where is it indicated that the trees are being removed due to the prevention of the spread of EAB. The 3rd reason is the one that really gets me steamed. The indication is that the trees were planted illegaly. When we chose these trees they were highly recommended by the city. We dealt with and lost many beautiful Elms in the 1970's. So it was my belief that I was making an informed decision. With that said my uninfested trees will be removed at no cost to me. (except the emotional one) and replaced for free. I would like to also ask if I have any recourse in addition to the spieces anyone could suggest but also if I will beable to replace these with more mature trees. I also am concerned that the tags themselves are going to hurt the property values of our home and all the homes that are affected. I have let the city forester know this as well. I know this is long but greatful for your time and thoughts.

Comments (8)