SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

Ethanol Fuel in small engines a problem???

murphy_zone7
13 years ago

HI...I usually hang out on the cooking, quilting, sewing forums but have a problem with my Weedeater Featherlite GTI15 trimmer. It started giving problems last year and at the beginning of this season, had a tune up done...new fuel line, spark plug, general cleaning. Still wouldn't run properly....hard to start, ran for short time, quit and could not be started. Tried adjusting the carburator myself and only made things worse (I think). Took to a dealer/repair shop to get it back in working order, and the repair guy said it was probably the ethanol in the gas that was causing the problem. He said there is an additive you can put in your gas that will help counteract the problem with ethanol. He would check it out and let me know. I did a google search on ethanol in small engines and find there is a problem with this fuel's shelf life, water attracting properties, etc. Ethanol seemingly causes major problems with boats or so the search revealed.

My question is have any of you found this to be an issue with your grass trimmers, lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc. Or is the repair person setting me up for a huge repair bill?

Plus I just want to know. Never gave any thought to the enthanol gas we now buy for our cars.

Thanking you in advance for any input.

Murphy

62 year old grandmother who does her own yard work!!

Comments (8)