SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
philothea_gw

Can't figure out what to do about composting lots of manure

philothea
15 years ago

Help! We have cows, chickens, and horses. Lots of manure there :) But we live in an extremely windy area (35Â40mph for 3 days this week) which means a lot of what we collect gets blown away, and what doesn't, gets dried out by wind and sun.

So, I found a little place by the chicken coop which I thought would be either protected by the wind or the escape blocked off, and the rain made the manure go into the little drainage ditch (did I mention that our whole property turns into puddles when it rains?) and so my husband was unhappy.

I have looked at several composting books and all of them are so complicated--they start off saying composting is easy and then go into all sorts of science!!!!-- and I think there is no way I can generate enough of whatever the opposite of straight manure (green stuff?) is to balance it off.

So I am at a loss as to what to do with all this manure. We have no place to put it, but we have to pick it all up; we are gardening but seem unable to use the manure because it will kill the plants, and so the whole issue just seems like a horrible mess to me.

ARGH!!!! Any ideas would be so very much appreciated :) :)

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting