SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tagitha1

We get a fresh start- but can't figure out what to do...

Theresa Y
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are gutting our 1979, tile-countered kitchen, because it is self-destructing around us. There are 5 people in our family, with kids from 2-7. I love to cook and would like to turn the kitchen into a pleasant work space. The house was designed with the kitchen as the narrowest and shallowest room in the public living spaces. It is connected to a long living room by a standard 3' door frame, and a second living room by a 85" opening. However, neither of these are meeting our needs. Our family likes to be pretty close to each other, so we end up only living in the kitchen and the second living room, with the primary living room empty except for occasional tv watching. We also have a formal dining room that we hardly ever use and want to convert into an office because I tutor from home.

We would like to connect the kitchen and living room in such a way that it feels natural to be in those spaces instead. We are planning to turn the second living room into a crafting room for our various hobbies. As such, we would like it to be closed in more so we don't have to be tidy all the time (not a strong suit of ours). However, the pathway from the garage to the house comes through a 24" door in the studio.

I had initially designed a u-shaped kitchen layout, but then realized our family likes to gather around the current peninsula for homework and baking, so it would be nice to have a peninsula or island for baking and homework help during dinner prep.

We are open to, and basically planning on, pushing out the front and/or back walls and opening up the walls between living room and kitchen as necessary. The primary living room has a vaulted ceiling, while the kitchen and second living room are standard height.

One of the challenging points is at the sink's current location, which I generally like, there is a window centered on the wall. Currently the sink + dishwasher width are centered on it, which makes the faucet at an awkwardly off-center point. If there is any way to address that while keeping the dishwasher functionally close, I would appreciate it.

We are planning on using stainless steel appliances, including a Kitchenaid french door standard depth refrigerator, bosch dishwasher, 2-bowl undermount sink, and Frigidaire FPGH3077RF 30-inch wide gas range. Because I cook a lot, I need a really functional vent above the range.

I've included a picture of a kitchen that has a style we would like to copy,

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Theresa

Current house layout- top to bottom- primary living room plus dining room area (only permanent thing is that post in the middle of the white section, Kitchen is the narrow thing, and second living room is square-ish thing on the bottom.

This shows the current layout with the doors beween kitchen and living rooms.

One concept I have considered is closing up the dining room into an office with a double door open to the living room, adding an L-shaped kitchen peninsula, opening up the primary living room wall and closing up the second living room wall. I am concerned about pinch points at the end of the peninsula.

one layout idea I had. Friends are advising me against having the peninsula in that orientation, due to pinch points. Above the sink is a 4' window centered in the wall. Also, the dishwasher may be too far away at 24" from the sink counter. That sink is supposed to be undermounted, but I am a sketchup newbie...

If my kitchen looked like this but with a (not-subway tile) tiled backsplash I would be super happy.

Thanks again!!

Comments (8)