SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happinessisatractor

Advice on which tractor, x300, Regent or LA deere series?

I am considering a new tractor and would like advice on which to buy. I have 3/4 of an acre, flat but bumpy. I also have a dump cart, plug areator, and a lawn sweeper to pull. I want a tractor that will above all, mow well, but also be up to the task of other lawn work.

I've looked at a large variety of tractors. I would like to stay near the $2K price point. Going higher is hard to justify. I've looked at a variety of machines from Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Deere and Simplicity. I'm leaning to Deere & Simplicty for durability & cut quality issues. The LA series Deere's are nicely priced, but are they reliabile.

The Simplicity Regent 18/38 is very nice and well sized for my tasks....it appears a step up in the frame, transmission & mower deck design. The X300 is very nice...but I'm not sure it's worth the price premium over the Regent. Is it that much more durable Any advice or experience with these machines would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (22)

• doopstr
    16 years ago

I'm about to start my third season with my Regent 18/38. I've been happy with the machine. The only downside with the 38" deck is that it doesn't extend out much wider than the tires. It is nearly flush with the tires so if you need to do a lot of edging get the wider deck. On the plus side the 38" deck allows me to easily get the tractor in my shed and it takes up less room in storage.

The Kohler motor has been pretty good, it has plenty of power for what I need.

I cut about 1/2 acre on a wooded lot. My wooded lot really allows the Regent to show off its tight turning radius. I am 6'5" 250lbs and I feel comfortable on the machine. The machine does not feel like it is straining to support my body. It is built well for what it is.

• swimjim
    16 years ago

I was in the same boat as you, JD or Simplicity? I went with Simplicity as it simply cuts the grass better and that's the primary job for my tractor. Just so you know, the sub 2k JDs use a weaker K40 transaxle and the Simplicity uses the better K46 transaxle. How much better I do not know. The JD is a fine tractor and I think you can't go wrong between the two. In the end I found I was getting more for my bucks with the Simplicity. Those deck rollers have $$ value. For 2k the 18/38 is a good buy. I spent a little extra and went with the 22/44 to get an even better transaxle (K46 HD), fatter tires, bigger deck, and a bigger engine. To get better than a K46 on a JD you have to spend $4000! If you will be taking the deck off a lot, Simplicity is also easier. One thing that simply iced the deal was the turn radius on the Simplicity. 14" turn radius really shortens your mow time and hours on the machine.

A fairer comparison may be the JD to a CC, Snapper, or Husky. The Simplicity Regent is just a better machine than the JD LAs I think. You narrowed it down to the 2 best choices, but you may have doubts after a few scalps with the JD deck given your bumpy yard. Good luck!

• Related Discussions

used John deere 425 or new x300?

Q

Comments (8)
    Dont get an x300 for plowing. Its really just a mower. I have the plow on my x304 and its pretty fun pushing 2 inches of snow around but any more than that you can forget it. Since I do way more mowing I preferred the x300 price over x500. Also x300 has no hydraulics. Its a pedal lift. When fully raised the blade is still only 5 inches off the ground. You wont be able to drive it onto a trailer unless you remove it. Also there is no down pressure on a pedal lift blade. I also would not spend 4500 on an old machine. I like to have a new machine warranty.
    ...See More

John Deere LA115 vs John Deere X300

Q

Comments (23)
    My 18 year old JD170 finally 'died'. Or so I told myself and my wife. :-) Actually, one of the spindles broke and everyone knows that a broken spindle can't be fixed. Right? So what's a guy to do (sob). What any guy would do -- I went and bought a brand new X300 which will be delivered in 2 days. I only cut a mostly flat 1/2 acre so the X300 is overkill but who cares! I do want to buy the snow blower attachment and figured the X300 will be excellent for that purpose. I really can't wait. By the way Jaws, the spec sheet says the X300 has the K46 transmission, not the T46. I didn't read this post until last night, so I didn't get down to look at the sticker. All the posts though just confirmed that I bought one great machine. I might bypass the RIO switch though as I didn't buy the 4WS and do back up quite a bit. My 170 still has a perfectly running Kawasaki 14HP engine and tranny. What a workhorse! I gave pause to look at the HuskVys and Cub Cadets, but my 170 made me a JD loyalist. It really gave me outstanding service and I wasn't one to take care of it much. Lacking a shed and garage space, I often left it out all year, including severe upstate NY winters. It always started right up in the spring. But rust (wonder how that happened), deteriorating bags (hmmmm), and faded paint (go figure) convinced me that it was time. Actually, the fact that my 10yo son will want to be cutting the lawn in a couple years had something to do with it. Figured I want a some time where it's just MY machine. Don't worry guys -- I promise to take care of my new machine. I'm 53, and want this machine to last me 20 years or more -- or until I get the itch for a new model, whichever comes first. JD did give me $250 for a trade-in on the 170. I might had got more for it if I wanted to fix the spindle, clean it up and put up for sale -- but that would take time away from my X300. I'll let you guys know how I like it. Who am I kidding... I'm going to Love it!
    ...See More

Thank goodness my Craftsman blew up! (x300)

Q

Comments (20)
    Congratulations on the new X300. As closely as I can tell,you can get a bad machine from any brand...lawn tractor,car or ice cream maker. ANY manufactured product,whether man or machine assembled,could die out of the box,or run flawlessly for years. I,too,took delivery of an X300 this morning. I studied and conversed for weeks,trying to decide what to do. My decision was made because the JD sales guy was super,and I got one year same as cash from JD. ONLY time will tell if it was a good buy. On my street,there are 5 JD's,2 Craftsman,1 Cadet,1 Husky:ALL are working well. Please don't take this green vs orange vs red too seriously. For goodness sake,it's a lawnmower. Take care of it and it should be fine. Thanks to all of you,most of your posts were helpful,and I appreciate your thoughts.
    ...See More

Need bagger assay for John Deere X300 mower

Q

Comments (1)
    This thread reminded me of the John Deere commercial many years ago where the home owner started cultivating his garden with a JD rototiller, moved up to a small lawn tractor, a garden tractor, a small farm tractor, and finally brought in one of the large tractor that turn in the middle with a 40 foot disc. Your post also brings up another point of buying the tractor to fit the job, Yes the bigger tractor cost more, but so does the maintenance and all of the accessories that you may wish to buy. All part of the investment in bigger equipment.
    ...See More
  • varmint_304
    16 years ago

I think if you're going to look at the JD 100 series, you should be looking at the LA165. Below that, JD uses the T40 trans axle. It's fine for a mower, but, since you're towing a cart and aerator, the K46 would be my preference. That's what JD uses in the LA165 and X300. Simplicity also uses it in the Regent.

Actually, the LA165 might be just the ticket: wider tires, deck width surpasses the tires, tranny is good, and the price is pretty much in line with what you want to spend.

I like the Simplicities, too. The Regent should be reliable, good for towing your attachments, and the floating deck should be good for your lumpy lawn. My only fault for them is ergonomics.

• sadixon49
    16 years ago

I would consider the Husqvarna 2346XLS, it has a Briggs Vanguard engine, and a locking differential, I can't tell from the specs if it is a K46 or a K57, but it looks like it should be a good one.

• happinessisatractor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for the follow-ups. I just had a chance today to drive an x300 and LA series Deere at the dealer. Unfortuately I was limited to his parking lot, but the X300 stood out as a very solid tractor. There was a difference over the LA series.

The kawasaki engine is smoother & quieter. The twin Briggs in the LA 135 I drove was about the same as the 18HP single Kohler Courage I tested in the Simplicity Regent. All are better than the old 8HP briggs in my old tractor.

At this point it comes down to the Regent & X300. The quality of the mower decks & transmissions and assembly appear similar. The basic differences are in the engine & frame(?). I noted one comment on the Deere scalping my yard....is that a likely problem? And is the deere likely to be more durable and therefore worth the money? I appreciate your feedback.

• User
    16 years ago

The deck on the Simplicity is superior in build to the deck on the Deere and much easier to R&R for maintenance than the deck on the Deere.

The Deere will have better resale value but either should last you a long time and be reliable.

Do both the Simplicity and John Deers dealers instill confidence or does one have the edge?

• swimjim
    16 years ago

Consider the highest level Regent to an X304 before you pull the trigger. The Regent will have a better transaxle and just as good a build and you'll not spend as much. The one thing that was impressive on the X was the engine. But I just couldn't believe JD put a regular K46 on a $2900 tractor. Craftsman's half that price have the same transaxle. This is what I couldn't get over with the X. You drove the 18/38. Try something with the twin Briggs and see what you think. You can't go wrong no matter what you pick, I just think the X304 is overpriced for what you get based on pricing of other tractors in that range.

• happinessisatractor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again for all the feedback. Swimjim, did you try any other tractors than your Simplicity before buying? I like the basic value to Regent offers. In areas of transmission, mower deck, and basic componentry the Simplicity looks comparable to the X300. My basic concern I guess when you boil it all down, is the durability of the frame.

My old tractor was a tank, and I guess I worry that my bumpy yard could fatique the frame of a new tractor. In that regard I am trying to consider if the Deere may be sturdier.

As for the engine & mower deck, I felt the Kohler Courage was a nice engine, and not that far from the twin briggs in general refinement. I'm sure it has plenty of power for my needs as my old tractor was an 8HP Briggs. I do agree with others here that the mower deck's do look sturdy on the Simplicity, and are at least equal to the x300's.

Also, in regards to the dealers, the Simplicity dealer is very good, and there are three Deere dealers in the area to choose from. I think I'm leaning towards the Simplicity for pricing reasons, but would still welcome more opinions.

• swimjim
    16 years ago

As I see it, the frame on just about all these tractors will probably be the last thing that will go. Odds are the tranny , mow deck, or engine will die first then you are faced with a $1000 repair and will probably buy a new tractor. I guess the frame would be an issue if I was plowing or planting crops or some other task that put major stress on the frame. Frames have been bolted forever. I know JD puts a big emphasis on their frames being fully welded and what not. It has value I guess, but I don't see a frame with some bolting as a major design flaw. Frame will be fine and I think the whole robotic welding thing is just a sales prop at this price point. As part of winter maintenance my dealer claims they touch every bolt on the tractor to ensure longevity.

The other poster was right to point out who you feel comfortable with. I felt at home with my Simplicity dealer and I felt like a number or someone beneath their concern at my JD dealer. Maybe if I was buying an X700 something I wouldn't have been talked down to like I was an idiot. That's another story. I'm not knocking JD, just my ONE dealer.

As to what I drove; Snapper RER (I tried), a Craftsman, JD, and a Cub. They were all fine I guess, but the Simp stood out. One thing you haven't mentioned, and something you may be overlooking is the 14" turn radius on the Simp v 18" or 16" on the JD (can't recall which). That is a HUGE deal for me. The turn radius just makes things easier when parking and when getting in close to obstacles. The steering effort is the same at all points unlike some of the stuff I drove. Also the deck is super easy to take on and off which makes less work for the tractor when you are pulling stuff around. Anyway, I overanalyzed as you can probably can tell. But, I know I will enjoy my purchase because I made the right choice for me. Even the tires are made in USA on my Simp and that means something to me these days. The whole thing is USA as far as I can tell. You'll enjoy either tractor. If you get the Regent you could spend that extra cash you saved and buy a bunch of attachments. For my bucks saved I'm getting a Cyclone Rake! Let us know how things turn out.

• jptgs1
    16 years ago

Happiness... One thought... I have a 14 yr old JD STX38. Since day one the deck has been a complete PITA for me to remove. Try doing it yourself on the X and the Regent. Just food for thought.

Jeff

• varmint_304
    16 years ago

"I guess I worry that my bumpy yard could fatique the frame of a new tractor. In that regard I am trying to consider if the Deere may be sturdier."

That is a valid concern. However, I doubt anyone here has the necessary expertise to give solid advice on the subject, myself included.

Lemme give you an example. Here's some information I've picked up reading the web and talking with dealers.

X300 frame = 11 gauge steel (rumored on web & via dealers)
    Regent frame = 12 guage steel (published info)

If we assume the JD information is accurate, it would seem the JD has the advantage. 11 guage is thicker than 12 gauge. But that may not be the full truth. The gauge is merely the thickness of the steel before they start bending and poking holes in it. Every bend and hole weakens the structure. It's only as strong as its weakest point. Where that weak point is located makes a bigger difference than the gauge of the steel.

X300 frame = rails (observed)
    Regent frame = rails with a "sheet" of steel over the top (observed)

Based on that, I would say the Simplicity has the advantage. It's like how placing the top on a box will make it more rigid. But that's not the whole of the story, either. See, the Regent's "box" has only a top and no bottom. The flat sheet will help prevent one side from being pushed fore or aft without the other side. However, it will not help significantly with twisting or flexing from up and down movements. (I suspect what it really does is make it easier for Simplicity to offer a wide variety of engines and attachments on a single frame. This is a good thing, but it has nothing to do with sturdiness.)

X300 frame = a modified X500 GT frame (rumored)
    Regent frame = ?

Now it looks like the JD in back in the lead. Simply because the information is unavailable for the Regent (best of my knowledge). But I don't think I've ever seen it explained HOW that X500 frame was modified. Did JD remove additional gussets or cross braces? Did they chop 2" off one end?

Unless you know someone with an engineering degree, a PHD in metalurgy, an the time and tools to delve into this, I doubt we can get a straight answer. Smack talk? Oh sure, we can get plenty of that. Actually, the lack of smack talk ('cept for one frequently posted pic of a cracked Craftsman) suggests that frame failures are pretty rare.

• User
    16 years ago

"Unless you know someone with an engineering degree, a PHD in metalurgy, an the time and tools to delve into this, I doubt we can get a straight answer. Smack talk? Oh sure, we can get plenty of that. Actually, the lack of smack talk ('cept for one frequently posted pic of a cracked Craftsman) suggests that frame failures are pretty rare".

The practical answer is that both frames are equal for the duration of the warranty and the ethics of the manufacturer and the selling/servicing dealer.

IMO the quality and durability of the frames of two competing manufacturers offering similar quality and price point products is a wash. Both Simplicity and JD are first tier products.

I'd make my decision based on the reputation of the selling dealer and getting my buns in the seat of both tractors at my house for a few hours each. It might be real apparent very quickly which one you favor.

• needstractor
    16 years ago

How important is frame strength in lawn tractors (obviously this is a different issue with ground engaging GTs)? Do lower end lawn tractors frequently suffer frame damage while mowing or pulling a reasonably sized dump cart? What outside of towing and pulling a plug aerator would even put substantial stress on a lawn tractor frame at all?

I'm totally uninformed on this, but I would guess problems with the powertrain are the leading cause of tractor failure. Is a broken frame the next leading cause? Just curious.

• User
    16 years ago

Mowing on an incline, hitting a hole in the lawn, driving diagonally down a hill and up the next can tweak a marginal frame. Unlike a motor vehicle an LT or GT has no suspension to compensate for "terrain irregularities".

• needstractor
    16 years ago

Thanks, I hadn't considered frame twist. I'm still curious about frame failure rates though, and where that charts into the whole tractor breakdown picture. It seems, perhaps rightly so, that frame strength/thickness/design comes up as a selling/buying feature with some frequency. Is the importance of this in lawn tractors being over- or understated? Is it worth shelling out an additional $300-500 for a "better" frame in a lawn tractor or can you count on anything with a "cast iron front axle" to pretty much do the job?

• happinessisatractor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have found all of your feedback helpful. I went back to the Simplicity dealer and gave the Regent another look-over. I ended up purchasing a Regent 18/38.

I agree with those of you who feel that either the X300 or Regent are up to the tasks I require. I still feel there may (may being the operative word) be more longevity in the Deere frame & motor, however, the average # of hours I put on the machine will be 50 at most/season. And as several of you have commented, the transmission and mower deck are likely the greatest "weak links". The tranny's are the same so that's not an issue. The Simplicty deck does look superior to the Deere's, and easier to remove & service. I also like swimjim's comment about the tire's being made in the USA...as that IS important to me :).

I chose the 18/38 based on several factors. First, the price was right at $2100. Second, I liked the Courage engine. I did not find it much louder or rougher than the twin cylinder engines out there, particularly when you rev it up to operating speed. I suspect it should be easier on gas as well. Based on what I've heard the Courage engine should be a 750hr engine before overhall....that's 15 years of use, and as far as I can determine, the high horsepower units are still made in the US. I'm pretty sure after 15 years I will have moved on to a new tractor. Another reason for choosing the 18/38 is it is easier to store. I did note it will be harder to edge w/this deck, but that's what weed wackers are for.

Perhaps most important, the dealer has a longstanding reputation and seems easy to get along with. So that's my story. Thanks again everyone for your imput. If anyone else wants to through in their two cents on what they think of the Deere's vs. Simplicty I'd have fun hearing it. I'll post a review of the new machine soon.

• needstractor
    16 years ago

Nice purchase. Enjoy your new tractor!

• varmint_304
    16 years ago

Needsatractor,

I don't think the need for a sturdy frame is being understated. I mean, if you bust the frame, it's going to cost nearly as much to replace that as it would be to buy a similar tractor on the used market. So, it is important in the sense that insurance is "important".

But I haven't seen enough failures reported on the web to suggest (to me) that it happens very often. Essentially, I think every manufacturer has done what they need to do in order to prevent THEIR tractor from failing under normal use.

Happinessisatractor,

Phew, we need to get you a shorter handle. Anyway, congrats on your Simplicity! I expect it will provide many years of faithful service.

• happinessisatractor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Varmint,

Thanks on all your feedback, and that of others. I took delivery today of my new tractor. I put it right to work pulling my dump cart full of brush, and my yard sweeper. Maybe I should change my handle to happinessisanewtractor.

Observations:

This tractor is very comforable. the ergonomics of the Regent are very good. The controls are well laid out and very intuitive.

The 18HP Kohler Courage engine is plenty strong, and very reasonable in noise level. Especially compared to my old tractor's 8hp Briggs.

The transmission is very smooth (smoother than the x300 I drove, probably how it's belt drive is designed), and pulled my sweeper like it was'nt even there.

The ride accross my bumpy yard is just that, bumpy. I'm going to check the tire pressure again, and try lowering it to improve the ride a little. Also, the steering is very precise, but that also lends itself to jolting out of my hands on bumps if I'm not careful. Again tire pressure may help that. I suspect the same would be true on almost any "lawn tractor". Essentially it means I have to keep my speed down in the areas that are bumpy. My old tractor's seating position was closer to the ground, so I may be perceiving that I'm going slower on the new Regent than I actually am.

Perhaps a heavier Garden Tractor, ie: a Conquest or x500 might traverse the lumpy terrain more smoothly, but I would not want to give up the manuverability of the Regent, which is fantastic.

I have not mowed yet, but did engage the mower. Take note, this thing is powerful, it shot several pine cones like a rocket. The discharge is very strong, which I hope will reduce clumping of my grass clippings.

Overall I feel that I made a good choice for my needs. I have to say that Simplicity orange is just as nice looking as Deere Green. I'm looking forward to mowing season & will let you know how it performs.

• swimjim
    16 years ago

Congrats! Don't forget about that first oil change, it won't take long to get there. I bought the mulch kit for mine just for the reason you stated, the powerful side discharge. It's not something you need now, but your yard may be tidier if you mulch. I chose not to get a bagger, but that may be an option for you. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Regent as much as I have.

• happinessisatractor
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just thought I'd update everyone on how my new Simplicity Regent has performed to date. So far I've thrown at this tractor every task I need it to complete. I am happy to report that it has passed each test with flying colors.

As of today I have pulled my 42" lawn sweeper, my areator, my dump cart full of dirt, and mowed a portion of my lawn that was filling in (it's still a little early here in CT). I have been please that there have been no unpleasant surprises. The Regent simply does what I ask of it, without any sign of strain.

Two interesting observations. When I first drove my Regent across my bumpy flat yard, I was somewhat concerned on how rough the ride was, and darting the steering could be when catching certain bumps. I have sinced eased the air pressure in the tires and that has significantly helped on that issue.

The second observation was regarding mowing. My old tractor, an old Simplicity, did not have any height reference for the mowing deck. I simply set it as high as it would allow, and mowed. With the new tractor, I first started at 3 1/2 inches, and observed that it barely appeared to be cutting what to me historically was tall grass. I then lowered the cut to 3", and proceeded to mow a part of my lawn. It still seems rather high after mowing.

I have to wonder if I've been cutting my lawn too short with my old tractor, which would explain why the grass struggled so much in mid/late summer. Overall I am very happy with this tractor to date, and highly recommend anyone looking for a good lawn tractor, put the Regent on your list. Also, thanks again to everyone for your input.

• varmint_304
    16 years ago

"Two interesting observations. When I first drove my Regent across my bumpy flat yard, I was somewhat concerned on how rough the ride was, and darting the steering could be when catching certain bumps. I have sinced eased the air pressure in the tires and that has significantly helped on that issue."

Doesn't the Regent have adjustable seat suspension? With my X304, there's a set of spring under the seat. Moving them fore and aft adjusts the amount of "bounce" in the seat. I coulda sworn the Regent had something similar.

Sponsored