SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nethercarruchan

Chainsaw start up problems

nethercarruchan
16 years ago

I have had an MS440 Stihl chainsaw for a couple of years. It has always been difficult to start but this seems an increasing problem. Works wonderfully once started and has done great work, though it is used irregularly. It has a compression release button which snaps closed when the engine fires. No priming is required. I follow the manual instructions fairly closely but am generally pretty exhausted by the time I get the saw to start. It often fires once and then refuses to fire again for some time. It sometimes fires once and snatches on the cable - pretty sore on the hand that is doing the pulling. This afternoon I gave up after 10 minutes or so, having taken out the plug to check there was fuel (there was) and to dry it off! On a previous ocassion I took it to the guy I had bought it from and to my embarrassment he started it first go. He was using a drop start technique that I had been advised was dangerous. I have started developing a slightly less radical version of this, but to no effect so far. I suspect physical strength and technique are part of the problem, but I am not a complete weakling and have another (smaller) chainsaw which I can start no problem - also assorted other pullstart machinery has presented no problems. Any advice welcome. I shall now withdraw to recover from my exertions hopeful to return refreshed to this forum and some helpful suggestions. Thanks for listening.

Comments (10)