SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeputter_gw

Echo Products Hard to Start!

14 years ago

After reading good reviews on the web about "easy starting" Echo string edgers, I bought one at HD. I could not start it. Brought it back to HD and their service guy could not start it. Said "usually these start right up." Gave me a new one. It also take 5 to 10 pulls to start. I just live with it.

I just bought a new "quiet" Echo model PB-251 hand held blower. It took about 15- 20 pulls to start out of the box. I used new gasoline and the Echo oil. I did not take it back because I thought I probably flooded the engine. Now several weeks later, with new gasoline mixture, the blower won't start even with 30 pulls. I am so frustrated. I see comments comparing power between makes but much more important to me is one that just STARTS. The quiet Echo has so much power I can't see needing even more power - at least in Phoenix where everything is always hot and dried up (easy to blow).

I pulled the spark plug and cranked to check for spark. How do you do that?!! It is all plastic and there is no place to ground the S/plug while cranking. I made a jumper to ground the plug but could only find a metal bracket on the carb which may not have been grounded.

Is it just me that has trouble starting these Echo products?

My Stihl chainsaw starts pretty easy if it has good gas.

I rented a lawnmower and it started on 1st pull everytime. When emptying the grass catcher you had to shut off the engine. I was amazed how it always started on the 1st pull. How come they can't make these smaller engines to start like that?

Comments (29)