SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbradshaw777

bud union 1ft above ground? Multicolored Judy Garland?

jbradshaw777
12 years ago

Hi, I am pretty new to this, and could use some advices.

I inherited 2 rose bushes from the previous owner of a home I recently bought. I have a few questions regarding these bushes.

1.Both of their bud unions are about 1 ft above ground. This quite different from what I learned from browsing the Internet. Is this something I should be worried about?

2.Their root stock are not vertical. In fact one has a roughly 45 degree angle from being vertical. There is a flimsy wooden stick planted right next to the root stock, which I believe are being used as a support. What might be the reasons that they are in such condition? Is this something I should be worried about?

3.After reading this forum, I now think that one of the bushes has Dr. Huey. There is a pretty thick, old cane that comes out of the root of the 'Judy Garland' (this is the name according to the tag that is still hanging on the root stock.) right at the ground level. It bloomed pink flowers, however they don't look very healthy. I was marveling at the fact that the same bush could have multicolored blooms!

But was not quite sure how to prune the Huey portion of the bush. Their leaves look weak and diseased too. The cane looks old and may have been around for a few years. Is there any harm in keeping the cane, I do enjoy seeing more than one color of blooms on the same bush. If it can be kept, how should I prune them? Their leaves and stems look very thin and are quite different from the Judy Garland's.

4.The skins on root stocks appear to be cracking, they look bark-like. I used to see something similar on trees. Is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!