SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luanne_gw

A celebration of old friends in Vintage Dirt!

luanne
16 years ago

You won't believe me but this is the day that many of us wait all year for, twice. What was this soul satisfying, adventure that rekindled the human spirit and proliferated the love of roses to a ridiculous pitch? What were we doing? Balancing on precipices of dirt while trying to smoosh a yard and a half of chicken wire into a 15 gallon hole to ward off gophers strikes me as the most prevalent memory of the day! Of course there were other larger and smaller holes as we dug in 3 new floribunda beds for the Vintage collection which wobbles between 4-5000 roses. I remember an absolute purr of contentment when Anita showed up with 4 new buds from the Sacramento Sisters of the Soil as I would be driven to calling them, were they mine...the girls can cook too!

Greggs saffron yellow shirt seemed the keynote of the day as he coached us in how to get the right rose in the right hole...We usually are gone by two but somehow we pulled out at four, drowsey with hard work, warm sun, Gene's excellent wine(frankly, the man spoils us rotten and you know there hasn't been a single complaint. Cotes du Rhone? Let me handle that little old bottle for you, I can er uh grade it for you...)Karen's brownies, Diana's wonderful strawberries and some mango cauliflower thing that was so scrumptious...don't ask me how, I don't even like cauliflower(do have a weakness for mangos...unexplainable).

Highlights had to be seeing our Bill stumping around on his new bionic knee after limping around with a cane these many years, Gene so brown from his travels in Micronesia,Cambodia,and the Phillipines and as always the force of nature we call Mendocino Pam whose kumquat preserves set my scones on fire.

I believe a good time was had by all and as usual a letter from Jon of Wessex made the world so small and tender as we felt the love of those who only came in their hearts. Thank you everyone who came and also every one who couldn't come. Nothing was in bloom, we were all carried away by foliage alone.

la

Comments (16)