SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
littlesmokie

Midge-Least toxic???

16 years ago

I have spent hours researching pesticides (extoxnet, all past forum threads, etc) for the least toxic treatment. I really don't want to use pesticide--I am nursing mom and we have a dog that wanders through the rose beds. But I am desperate.

The midge are already active and nearly all emerging shoots are already damaged so it is too late to try Patricia's trap them in the ground under newspaper strategy. I have hundreds of damaged shoots and maybe a dozen buds out of my 50+ roses. I have midge B-A-D. I am used to having a crappy summer flush and no fall flush, but this year I won't even have a spring flush if I don't do something. Roses are my passion. Heartbreaking. I feel trapped.

Found my notes from an old post by Henry Kuska citing a New York study that lacewings and pirate bugs DO eat midge larvae, so I researched and will plant companion plants to help attract them (yarrow, chevril, dill, cilantro, sunflowers, shasta daisies, etc.) This will help moving forward but won't get things under control alone.

Planned to try beneficial nematodes (steinernema feltiae) but the 2006 study attached found them completely ineffective. (I was looking for results from Oregon State about the efficacy of nematodes but couldn't find any references yet. BTW-This study found a .50% concentration of permethrin applied as a soil drench 1x month for 4 months was very effective against midge.)

Will spinosad do anything against midge? (Found a citation from a Cornell study that listed spinosad as #5 recommended treatment against midge behind #1 orthene/acephate and #3 merit/imadicloprid, but can't locate any specifics about the study...)

I definitely do not want to use imadicloprid because it is systemic (which I believe is more harmful to pollinators/beneficials) and very persistent in the soil(a U Minn study found it still in garden soil 2 years after application-yikes)

so Which is less toxic---

cyfluthrin (category II warning or I danger; half-life in surface soil of 48-72 hours/sandy soils 56-63 days) or

permethrin (catgory II warning or III non-toxic; half life in "soil" 30-38 days)

I'm confused because I planned to do a couple of soil drenches to get the larvae...if that is "surface soil" then cyfluthrin would be eliminated more quickly, but it looks like permethrin has a lower EPA toxicity category...I know they are both very toxic to bees which is why I want to use a soil drench of something non-systemic... is one or the other (or something else??) safer for my family and the beneficials that visit our garden?

Please can any of you science types (or fellow midge sufferers) help me sort this out?

Blessings, Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: 2006 Rose Midge Study

Comments (13)