SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

Newbie question regarding Climbing Blaze & New Dawn

tulipsmiles
15 years ago

My questions may be trivial... but I must ask. :)

I bought 2 climbing blaze last summer. I didn't get them into the ground immediately. Infact, I let them get very dry. I did eventually water them and plant them, but they had had quite a struggle up to that point. All the canes on them at this point were small and scragely. (sp?)

Here we are the following Spring, and they are much happier, but still very thin canes. My question is, is it worth it for me to continue to "baby" this poor Blaze, or should I scratch it all, and buy a new one?

Second question: I have a new New Dawn climbing rose, yet to be planted. The spot that I want to put it is on a chain link fence, that is 5 feet tall. I don't have another spot for it, but couldn't leave it at the store... I have read that this rose will grow up to 15-20ft. Can I just prune it and keep it smaller? Will it become unhappy or hurt somehow if I keep it low, low, low?

One last question... once I plant the New Dawn, and if Blaze survives, what kind of growth can I expect this year? How long does it take for them to be over 5 feet?

Thanks for your info!

Tulipsmiles

Comments (11)