SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cornshucker

Should I buy a used Bearcat Chipper/Shredder?

cornshucker
17 years ago

Greetings.

I've read with interest the various posts on chipper/shredders available via the search engine here. I know that I would be very happy with a Mackissic 12PT10. However, I can't justify the expense. My wife and I are planning to have our first child this year and build a home soon after. Dropping $1,800 on a wood chipper isn't going to fly at this point in my life.

That said, my local Home Depot rental shop will sell me a very-used Bearcat 70380 for $500. They'll even throw in a new set of blades. The catch: The thing is broken down and needs about three hours of work. They'll fix it, if I'm willing to wait a few weeks. Or they'll sell it to me as is. Either way, it's $500. The manager is tired of customers misusing it and them having to fix it. The problem is that people try to pick it up by the handle on the chipper chute, which bends the metal underneath. The thing weighs 250 pounds. So, now the blade starts hitting the metal when it gets spinning. They'll have to take the Bearcat apart and straighten out the metal again to provide clearance for the chipper.

Certainly, buying a used chipper/shredder from a rental place isn't optimal. It went into service in 2004 and has been rented 49 times. And the fact it has issues isn't very attractive. But it's $500. The belt was recently replaced. It's a machine that retails for $2,200. And I have a 2.5-acre lot that will always have lots of leaves, tree limbs, large sagebrush, grape vines, etc., that need to be chipped. (At the moment, I have a colossal brush pile that I'll probably just dispose of by renting a tow-behind Vermeer for four hours for $100 or whatever. But once that's gone, I won't have any massive jobs. Just seasonal stuff.)

ANYHOO, am I an idiot for considering this Bearcat? Am I naive in thinking that I, unlike most Home Depot people who rent machinery, will know how to operate it without screwing it up? I watched the manager start it. It started first pull. It just needs that metal straightened out. My thinking is that even if I decide it's a lemon, I'll be able to sell it for $300 or $400. Bearcats seem to fetch a few bucks. And they're throwing in an extra set of blades.

I've looked all over the place locally for another used one. Nothing. My local Mackissic dealer only stocks the LSC506. I love the price -- $675 -- but I don't think it will handle garden debris. I would really like my chipper to be able to gobble a cornstock without choking, not to mention a 3-inch three branch. I'm guessing that the Bearcat would do that. (Any Bearcat owners out there who can give me feedback?)

Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger.

Thank you.

Comments (23)