SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Whatdjoo get from the Bluestone Sale?

11 years ago

The site was super busy day-'fore-yesterday, but I managed to get in early yesterday morning and there was actually quite a bit to choose from at 50%.

I started with nearly $200 of offerings, but whittled it down to just under $60:

Achillea Red Velvet $4.47

Aster Bluebird $4.97

Centranthus Ruber A.K.A. $4.47

Eupatorium Phantom $4.47

Heuchera Green Spice $4.97

Heuchera Frosted Violet $5.97

Hosta Great Expectations $3.98

Hosta Lakeside Dragonfly $5.47

Hosta Paul'S Glory $4.47

Monarda Petite Wonder $4.97

Sedum X Autumn Fire $3.98

How'd you do?

Comments (35)

• 11 years ago

I was good this year and ordered just 3 plants :) I did order from some other companies though...

Heuchera Obsidian $5.47
    Heuchera Crimson Curls $4.97
    Cimicifuga Brunette $8.37

Heuchera 'Obsidian' is supposed to be the darkest of all - love the contrasts in the garden, so it is exactly what I need. Has good reviews too.

Heuchera 'Crimson Curls' is gorgeous, but I already killed two of them in the past. Seems to be finicky to grow. I thought I'd give it another try at this price.

Never tried Cimicifuga before. I have lots of silver and golden shade plants. Should be good for the contrast.

• 11 years ago

Hee!

I said I wasn't going to do it this year, but of course there were a few I just couldn't resist. ;)

Bergenia Winterglow

Chrysanthemum Mary Stoker

Doronicum Little Leo

Sedum Thundercloud

Kind of wishing now I hadn't removed Aster Lady in Black at the last minute. I really don't have a good spot for it, but I'm so intrigued by the foilage color...

• Related Discussions

Bluestone Perennials 50% off sale

Q

Comments (30)
    I thought it was a good idea to try the local farm store but NOTHING organic there! Makes me wonder about the food we eat... And Lowe's no longer carries the fish emulsion, seems they are only carrying Miracle Grow organic now. I guess Walmart will be my next stop. Would hate to have to order it, but if so, probably will go back to peaceful valley and they have an excellent selection. I got earthworm castings from them last yr and kelp. (Their prices on plants are good but shipping worked out to be rather high.) Did not see any Espoma anywhere- never heard of that one before. Brandy
    ...See More

So......What did you order from the Bluestone sale?

Q

Comments (9)
    my order came yesterday and every single plant is healthy and huge - love their plants We are due a nice amount of rain Thursday into Friday so will be a planting fool today - some in the gardens and the rest potted up into larger pots. This is my 3rd year ordering at the 1/2price sale and have never been disappointed Dianthus - Doris Dianthus - Fire Witch Dianthus - Greystone Geranium - Lancastriense HEuchra - Bressingham Heuchra - Canyon Melody Lanium - Orchid Frost Sedum - Purple Emperor Hakonechloa - aureola Lynne
    ...See More

Bluestone Perennials Sale

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a few hostas from Bluestone, mostly from 2009 when I first got into hostas, plus 1 from 2011. I've had completely mixed success with the plants, and I think it really depends on genetic power/heritage: Antioch, Blue Cadet, Guacamole, London Fog, and Patriot are all great looking plants, but they tend to do well for most people anyway. Big Daddy is still the exact same size. Wide Brim is only slightly larger now. Blue Angel took an extra year to finally jump in size. Halcyon actually shrank but may be finally starting to grow. August Moon is a noid yellow with faint green margin. If you try Bluestone, just realize you're getting smallish quart-size plants. And stay away from any known slow growers or trouble-prone cultivars.
    ...See More

Bluestone Perennials, Inc. Sale

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm so glad it worked out for you! I've found that the plants I get from Bluestone transplant and grow well, and I've gotten some plants there that I can't find elsewhere. The only thing that bugs me is the stupid packing peanuts - they are the only mail-order nursery I order from with non-recyclable packing material. (I know I can mail them back, but what hassle . . .) Scoring plants you want at a bargain price is always a delight. Last fall I got a big pot of one of the Evison/Poulson clematis for 5 bucks at local nursery, just because it was looking ratty. It bloomed all summer this year. Also got two of the ferny looking Amsonia hubrichtii and a good sized Baptisia, for just a few dollars each. Reminds me to go see what's there again this year.
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

I got another Clematis 'Rosemoor' and a Campanula 'Sarastro.' The Campanula was blooming when I opened the box!

Clematis 'Rosemoor' blooms so long. I think two will be enough...I think? LOL.

• 11 years ago

Hah! I like the way you ask WHAT we got, not IF we got anything, lol!

I was pretty conservative - I got a couple of boxwood Green Velvet to add to a little hedge I'm making, an ilex Southern Gentleman for a Winter Red which I finally bought last fall (been wanting a Winter Red forever!), helenium Mardi Gras and helianthus Capenoch Star for my new red/orange/yellow bed I'm planning, and then just some chrysogonum Pierre and a mum Debutante, to replace some of each that I lost over the winter.

I could have bought a whole lot more, but I'm really trying to get my pot ghetto down to size. I'm also hoping that helianthus doesn't get out of control. That was an impulse buy which I'll have to research a bit more.

Alina, I think you'll like the heuchera Obsidian. I planted some in a friend's bed and it is really nice!

Dee

• 11 years ago

Wow, can't believe it has started already!

Sounds like fun, but I'm not buying anything this year, except a few annuals and veggie starts at the local nursery. I've got lots of seedlings and pot ghetto plants to deal with.

Actually, I am a little discouraged from my experiences last year, with both of the online nursery sales I ordered from. (Bluestone and Santa Rosa). I've had multiple plants die from both companies, and with the Prairie Splendor I got from Bluestone died TWICE. Only 1 out of the 6 original/replacements has survived. And I know they were cared for properly because a dozen Ech. seedlings planted right next to the Prairie splendor thrived over the winter and all have been transplanted and are budding now! I still need replacements for those, just haven't gotten around to doing it. :-/

• 11 years ago

I would have bought but the two items I was interested in were sold out, so I didn't order. I have bought a few things locally and have one more sale I am waiting for and that is it for me. I don't need much at all.

I've had good luck most of the time with plants from Bluestone. And their replacement policy has always been generous without exception. I just find I have enough plants at the moment and I'm ready to do a lot of dividing in the fall, hopefully, to increase the plants I already have that are doing well for me.

I didn't even do any winter sowing last winter and I am not missing all the planting. I'm sure I will get back to it at some point. It would be nice to just enjoy the garden this year. Maybe sit and sip some iced tea for a change. lol

• 11 years ago

PM2, I also barely did any WSing this winter. I usually do about 225 containers, and this year I did about 25! I am not selling bouquets at the farmer's market this year, so I didn't need as much, and while I did intend to still do quite a bit of WSing, I just never got to it. I'm kind of sad I don't have/won't have all the flowers I usually do, but I have to be honest and say I am NOT missing all that planting! Okay, wait, I said I'd be honest - I'm not missing all the guilt and pressure from NOT planting when I should be, lol!

I'm also kinda wishing I had ordered a bit more from Bluestone, but I'm resisting the temptation to go back to the website, because really, I don't need more plants at this point! After a few years of concentrating on annuals, I need to re-visit my perennial beds and do some planning and organizing, which should have been done before the beds were planted, but wasn't. (I admit to being a plopper!). Now I want to concentrate on rearranging and making what I have look presentable!

Dee

• 11 years ago

I resisted temptation and bought nothing. I have too many plants in my pot ghetto already.

• 11 years ago

Connie, I've had three Asters 'Lady in Black' since 2007, and I have no idea why I insist on keeping them, but they have not bloomed for me once. I don't know if I just got some bad plants, or bad location, but I moved them from a mostly dappled shade area to full sun, so hopefully this year I'll see blooms. The plants look healthy and all, and every year they act like they're going to bloom, then the buds dry up and die before they finish forming. If no blooms this year, I'm going to finally toss them out. And they came from Bluestone.

Karen

• 11 years ago

I got 3 Aster lateriflorus 'Lady in Black' from Bluestone about 3 years ago. Mine have performed very well for at least 3 seasons. They are extremely floriferous! They bloom late in the season, late Sept./early Oct. and are stunning. The bumblebees are all over these, so that they buzz with bees.

How odd that they haven't bloomed for you Tepelus! Mine are growing in a rich bed, perhaps 4-5 hours sun, not full sun by any means and they seem happy.

• 11 years ago

Yeah, I thought that maybe after for so long they would at least bloom a little, but no, not at all. So if more sun doesn't get them blooming, then they are going bye bye.

Karen

• 11 years ago

Dee, Gee that's too bad you are going to miss doing your flower bouquets this year! I'm sure you will get back to it. And don't feel bad that you didn't plan/organize before planting perennials, because even if you did do that, you probably would still end up moving and rearranging. (g)

• 11 years ago

I went looking for clematis Rosemoor...all gone :o(

• 11 years ago

Well, I also had a Lady in Black planted year before last and it did not come back. And although I hardly ever post, here is my Bluestone order from last Wednesday:

1 Plox Sandra
    1 Sedum Lynda Windsor
    3 Cerastium YoYo
    3 Echinacea Coconut Lime
    1 Agastache Golden Jubilee
    1 Aster Bluebird
    1 Sedum Postman's Pride
    1 Sedum Thundercloud
    1 Sedum Oracle
    1 Aster September Ruby
    1 Calamintha Nepetoides
    1 Anthemis Moonlight
    1 Lobelia Monet Moment
    1 Mum Baby Tears
    1 Buddleia Silver Anniversary
    1 Monarda Peter's Fancy Fushia
    2 Salvia Black and Blue (an annual for me)
    1 Sedum Red Cauli
    1 Leptodermis Oblonga
    1 Agastache HeatWave
    1 Baptisia Alba
    1 Sedum Hab Gray

I am redoing the front entrance/pathway to our front door so a few of these will be for that and the rest squeezed in wherever they will fit! Did not plan on so much and thank goodness some items "jumped out of the cart" before I checked out!

• 11 years ago

I was glad to see this thread because I wasn't sure when the sale began. Now I have the following on order:

Lavendula 'Provence'
    Hemerocallis 'Lime Frost'
    Dianthus 'Graystone'
    Chrysanthemum 'Tinkerbelle' (3)
    Aster 'Bonningdale White'
    Aster 'October Skies'
    Asclepias 'Verticillata'
    Hydrangea 'Bombshell'

I don't have any of these cultivars and look forward to any insights you all might have. (I'm not planning a white garden--it's just that with the temps in the 90s today, I guess I'm wanting to add some visual coolness to the garden!)

I must say their shipping terms are quite reasonable.

• 11 years ago

Clematis Hagley Hybrid
    Sedum Autumn charm
    Aster alma poetschke
    Chrysanthemum mary stoker

Lets see what these coir pots are like.

• 11 years ago

Like several ohters who responded to this post I have too much in the pot ghetto to even think about buying more. Plus I have several hardscape projects this year that just eat dollars! Oh to have an unlimited budget!

• 11 years ago

WOW! I just got my box, and they've outdone themselves! While the size of the plants is only slightly larger than previous years, the packaging has been totally redone (no peanuts, but custom-built 'carriers' that fit the box), and the quality is superb! These are better looking than ANYTHING I've ever bought from them at this sale.
    I ordered expecting plants that need more than just a little TLC, but these plants will do fine if I put them right in the borders instead of in the nursery bed.
    Way to go, Bluestone!

• 11 years ago

I was very pleased with the plants I received. I was hesitant to order since their change, but now very glad I did.

• 11 years ago

I just got my order today also. I love, love, LOVE the new packaging, and the plants are in excellent shape, but I'm not seeing any reason why I'm paying more for these plants. They are exactly the same size as the ones that were in the 3-packs. Bluestone would have made a LOT more money off of me if they continued the 3-packs. Guess I'll be sticking to their sales from now on. But all that said, I'm glad I did order from this sale!

Dee

• 11 years ago

Too much ;>) But, I do have a garden that used to be almost all shade that's now got more sun due a tree coming down, so I will be changing that one over from largely shade plants to ones that want at least half a day of full sun, followed by bright afternoon shade.

I think that Bluestone's plants are much nicer than previously: larger, great root systems, and it's also lovely not to have to deal with all the plastic! The issues that they had initially last fall have all been worked out so that they now have a great soil mix and shipping system.

• 11 years ago

I have Hemerocallis Lime Frost. It grows well, but I would not call it particularly floriferous compared to others around it.
    Helianthus Capenoch Star will not get out of control, but it is seldom true to name (many imposters on the market)

Sedum Postman's Pride is good.

Chrysanthemum Mary Stoker is tough. It has a running habit and the flowers are very easily damaged by wind/rain, ornamental value below average because of this.

Aster October Skies died this winter, very shy bloomer here(as well as Raydon's Favourite)

Aster September Ruby - flopper, falling apart even with staking(yanked out)

Aster Lady in Black - foliage goes green in shade, flopper(yanked out)

Hosta Great Expectations should be renamed to Great Disappointments ( I only heard bad reviews about this one)

Aster Andeken an Alma Poetschke - flopper, flowers open only in good weather, yanked out.

• 11 years ago

Received my order yesterday--wow, what beautiful plants, and I must say I really like the packaging. I recycle corrugated cardboard as weed barrier in the back yard, so I know where the boxes will be heading.

Clearly I should have ordered more daylily "lime frost." Someone on the Daylily forum said all her near-whites are bashful about blooming and slow to increase. Am trying to decide whether to go ahead and order more now or be good and wait until next year... ;-)

• 11 years ago

Remontant, if near white colour is your only concern , go for White Temptation or Gentle Shephard(older one) or Joan Senior, and drop Lime Frost NEVER looking back after it. Any comparison is impossible as far as blooming is concerned. The three I've mentioned are not bashfull at all.

• 11 years ago

Sorry, I was thinking about Light the Way, not Gentle Shephard. Gentle Shephard is not good at all.

• 11 years ago

My Joan Seniors are very prolific and vigorous.

As far as Bluestone, I was ready this year and had my wish list loaded with the items I was interested in so it was easy to check what was on sale without seeing things that would trigger overspending. I picked up a few clematis, a few phlox, some echinaceas, some dianthus, but my main score was 24 Heuchera 'Sashay' that I needed for a bed project.
    Can't wait until they fill out.

I have several Obsidian in another bed and they are stunning and always look perfect.

• 11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Wieslaw. I have one "Gentle Shepherd" which is blooming now, and I bought a "Joan Senior" a couple of years ago but have managed to misplace it (!)I'll put "Light the Way" and "White Temptation on my list to see if a nearby grower has them. If she doesn't have it, I'll check online. Thanks!

• 11 years ago

Just got my delivery. The plants are definitely bigger than they used to be. I will probably buy from the sale again but not at full price.

• 11 years ago

Also while it's nice not to have peanuts, I would never plant directly with the coir pots.

• 11 years ago

Did anyone else not receive a shipping notification e-mail? Just wondering, as I always used to get these along with a tracking number.

• 11 years ago

I also decided not to plant with the coir pots. I took them off and composted them.

I'm still not seeing how the plants are bigger than before, though....

I did get a shipping notification e-mail. Maybe yours went into a spam folder?

Dee

• 11 years ago

I did get an email confirmation with Fedex tracking number.

As for the size of the plants, it probably depends on the plant. I got 2 Heucheras and a Cimicifuga Brunette.

Heucheras were definitely larger - I was able to split one of them into 3 divisions and another one into 2 divisions. Previously, Bluestone Heucheras were one fan plants.

Cimicifuga was small. Roots did not fill even half of that coco pot.

• 11 years ago

My order arrived today. I too love the new packaging. I think the plants are much fuller than they used to be. Sitting on the driveway is:

1 Achillea Red Velvet
    3 Anthemis Sancti-Johannis
    3 Gaillardia Burgandy
    1 Hemerocallis Show Girl
    3 Hollyhock Spring Celebrity Lemon
    2 Hosta Rainforest Suprise
    1 Salvia Black and Blue
    6 Viola Lutea Splendens

Alina, I ordered a Huechera Obsidian from Bluestome last year and it has more than doubled in size. Wonderful plant.

I already have over 20 other plants sitting waiting to be planted. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend.

• 11 years ago

did the sale go away? I don't see it up on their website.

• 11 years ago

Yes, the sale was for several days only.

a2zmomm, glad 'Obsidian' did well for you! I like the bold dark color. Will look fantastic with chartreuse and golden Heucheras.