SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plaidthumb

Harbor freight tools

plaidthumb
18 years ago

I've noticed a number of references on this forum about buying tools at Harbor Freight. Is their stuff any good?

What I've seen when I've been there is what they used to sell off the back of semi trailers for a "truckload sale--this weekend only!!!!!" and you'll never see them again. Some of their prices look "too good" and I wonder what it is I'm really buying. They had a recipricating saw advertised a couple of weeks ago for a great price--it had a plastic housing. Like J.A.Pan makes toys out of.

Has anyone had any luck with their tools?

Comments (21)

• triptester
    18 years ago

Harbor freight tools are allright for occasional use and light duty. If you plan on using a tool daily buy name brands. I have a portable bandsaw from them I have been using it for 5 years on an occasional basis and it is still working fine, it cost me $200 less than the name brands.Their hand grinders are almost worthless but their cut-off discs are great. Generally the quality is low but for limited use the price could be right.

• hydroharold
    18 years ago

A guy with a trailer load was here last summer... Same stuff in my book.

When did "Harbor Freight Salvage" drop the "salvage" part? I guess it did sound a bit funky like they salvaged the stuff from the harbor bottom.

• Related Discussions

making plant tags-lables

Q

Comments (8)
    I use dymo, the really old one that embosses (sp.) letters on plastic tape, this has one sticky side. Then stick it on either wood stake-popsickle-metal stake-piece of blind-or hang it (after adhering to a piece cut off coke/pop can), depends what I am marking. (I have the gizmo from way back when we used it to make labels for storage in banker's boxes). One can buy dymo embosser that works on metal I think, but it is more $$$. Rina
    ...See More

Rain Barrel Parts, Instruction (video)

Q

Comments (1)
    Bencjedi, Congratulations on your rain barrels and thanks for the instructions & link! With this drought, it seems more people are getting interested in them here. Such a practical solution to conserving water! Great job!
    ...See More

A fun find on watering roses in the heat

Q

Comments (1)
    I should note, we used on clay, if you have sand they might be a bust
    ...See More

Air-Layering with Air-Pots

Q

Comments (13)
    Murky, My figs are towering giants right now. I bet they are 12 or more feet tall. If you had asked me that same question in 2003 I would have jumped at it, as these root cups look like they cannot be improved upon. But I am just not airlayering anything these days. Back in 2003 I was using yogurt cups that I had first melted a hole in the center bottom, then cut with scissors down the side to that hole. Next I would fit it around the fig stem, and then duct tape the whole thing solid. After that I would fill the cup with some potting soil and keep it moist for a month or two. They rooted very nicely, best done in early June. The reason I even went to this extreme is because a friend from California had given me some potted figs that had severe nematode infestations, so this method was incorporated to give the clones disease free roots. Then junk the mother plants. Any more, my figs are so branch-prolific that I just take the more limber of the lower branches and weight them down with rocks of bricks to the ground, making superb fig-babies for whoever wants them. Right now I have plenty of Desert King and Negronne, if you know anyone that needs that sort.
    ...See More
  • davek913
    18 years ago

As triptester mentioned, it depends on what kind of use you're looking to get out of it, and also what kind of tools. If you're a professional of some sort that is looking for something for heavy duty, regular usage they're not your best option. If you're looking for something for light or occasional use, you can find some good deals.

I had the 10" sliding compound miter saw that they have on sale regularly for $100, and it was a gem for the price. I used it for 3 years and sold it for $75 when I received a 12" DeWalt as a gift. There have been times I wish I still had it. I bought a heavy duty hand truck for around $25, and it's served me very well for 5 years. One year I used some fix a flat in the tires, but no other problems. Other items I've purchased and used regularly are moving dollies, a benchtop belt sander, an angle grinder, a couple of wrench sets, casters, a farm jack, a digital caliper and other odds and ends.

I've known several woodworkers who have had praise for their bandsaws, dust collectors, drill presses and lathes. I've heard not-so-pleasant things about their cordless tools, and many of those and their accessories as well are the same sort of generic tools that can be had on eBay for the same price or less. Cheap batteries, cheap chargers, cheap construction, low torque regardless of voltage ratings, etc. You can buy a 12V DeWalt tool and it will have as much or more torque or effective power than their 18V tools and be better made.

My perspective is somewhat limited because most of my purchases are WWing related. I've not used their air tools, plumbing or mechanics gear. I've heard good things about some of their air paint sprayers, though.

• baymee
    18 years ago

Most of the stuff is junk to a professional, however, the impact socket sets have performed greatly for many years.

• GoodOleBoy
    18 years ago

If you are joe homeowner you will be fine with their tools. I work on everything i own cars,mowers etc. I probaly only use my tools at most 3 times a month. Some months i use them 40 times. I have mostly all chinease tools, I cant afford american tools.

Now if you make a living go get some better stuff.

• delcogreg
    18 years ago

I've got a store not far from me and I get various hand tools from them now and then (I can't comment on their power tools as I don't have any of theirs). They seem OK for the price. One thing that continues to amaze me is the cobalt drill bits I bought from them.

I bought a pack of three 1/4" cobalt drill bits because I needed to drill out some bolts on a wood stove (6 I think). It was slow going, but I got all of them with one bit. Then, a week or so ago I used the same bit to drill a couple of holes in a fairly thick frame on a garden cart. I don't know about their regular bits, but their premium bits are OK in my book.

• cadurning
    18 years ago

Their stuff is ok. I do have some of their hand & power tools. I must say that I was not pleased with their floor jack & a $39.00 drill press. However I do have one of their more expensive drill presses that works great. I do have a number of their air tools that have worked out fine. The electric drills seem to heat up quickly & crap out but work fine once cooled down. I do have one of their $99.00 air compressors. That thing is a real workhorse. The tank is very small but the compressor is big enough for a fast recovery. Built a garage, a small house, and 2 sheds with it and a HF air nailer. I am pleased with those products.

• plaidthumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to all for your responses.

My dad used his tools to make a living installing and repairing industrial boilers and air-handling units. To buy anything other than Craftsman, Crescent or Milwaulkee was tantamount to treason.

Things are a bit tight around home lately, causing me to try more of my own repairs, and those HF prices sure look good. Think I'll give them a shot for a few things and see how they work out.

• john_
    18 years ago

Your Dad sounds like a very wise man. Craftsman mechanics tools are not too expensive, if you can stand not having to buy immediately.

• gravely_todd
    18 years ago

I have a hard time buying tools from a catalog that I can't see and feel for myself before purchasing, therefore, I won't ever buy any tools from Harbor Freight. You are better off going to Sears and getting some of their stuff, the price is pretty good for the quality and you can't beat the warranty. I even like when the Snap-On man stops and I can walk inside his truck and try stuff out before I buy...

Todd

• johndeere
    18 years ago

I bought a electric impact gun from HF.Works OK but the rocker switch is wired backwards.Reverse is forward and forward is reverse.But it was cheap and I seldome use it anyway.

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

I've bought a number of things from Harbor Freight and I agree that they're ok. However, I generally tend to buy things from them that don't have moving parts. I just don't want to take a chance with something cheap where I'm using electricity, or things are turning at high speed, or they're supporting a heavy weight. I particularly use them when it's an item that I want but will use so infrequently that I can't justify spending on the high quality item. I've had good luck with things like masonry drill bits, anvils, small clamps, specialty pliers, etc.

• slimmarks
    18 years ago

all chinese made tools. but i guess its a belated point as the flow of moneys to that country has just reached staggering rates. sorry but i still think its financial suicide that will have repercussions on my grandkids. the tools not that bad tho for homeowner use.on the brite side ,i just made a trip across the country. we are still the food roducer with the greatest potential. it may be what saves our financial strength.just my thoughts.

• David_Smith
    18 years ago

I've purchased a few things from them such as their Titanium
    drill bit set, Digital calipers, spring clamps and a leather
    carpenters carry-all. Most of their stuff seem to be Ok but you do have to watch what the quality.

I recently purchased a, Referbished 4 cycle String Trimmer Plus from them for $79.97 and was a bit leary but the engine seemed to turn over with plenty of compression and even though the unit only carried a 3 month warranty they did offer a year or two extended warranty for $12.00 extra per year which seemed in line. The Trimmer appeared to be the same as a Troy-Bilt unit but with a different lable on it. Later that afternoon I went to Lowes with a buddy looking for a pole Chain Saw attachment and saw the exact same unit by Troy-Bilt for about $150.00. I've used mine a fair amount already including the pole chain saw and it works great with more than enough power, runs smoothly, and very quiet.

So I have to say that I'm pretty satisified with what I've bought from them. If I have to return this Trimmer for some reason that will be the real test of dealing with them.

• tryinbrian
    17 years ago

No one enjoys working with a high quality, name brand tool more than I do, but I still consider HF Tools to be something of a Godsend. The reason is that they greatly expanded the availability of tools that I couldn't otherwise justify owning based on usage. Yes, you have to be careful and make sure it's going to fulfill your requirements, but I can honestly say I have been tickled pink with most of my purchases over there.

I wouldn't trade my milwaukee drill motor for the half-dozen or so HF drills I could get for the same money, but dollar-for dollar, that store is a great place to find something to "get the job done" without destroying your budget (especially items "on sale").

• blueseatx
    17 years ago

I can give a strong 5 stars to the following items from Harbor Freight:
    16 speed floor drill press - incredible quality for the money
    right angle grinders - 4 1/2 & 9 inch - still running strong
    drill bits - all types - great value
    router bits - all
    air compressors - small and large
    bench vises and machinest vises - all steel & strong
    tile cutter (wet saws)- well built
    arc welders and all rods/accessories - excellent quality
    water pumps and well pumps - very well built
    bench grinders - all
    vise stands - very heavy and durable
    bolt cutters - all sizes
    hand tools (wrenches, hatchets, hammers, etc.) - strong
    rock tumblers - outstanding quality

As a matter of the fact, the only item I have ever had a problem with is their 2 million candle power rechargable spot light - returned it w/ no problem.
    In my humble opinion, buying tools anywhere else is like flushing your money down the toilet. I could not be happier with Harbor Freight.

• tommyw
    17 years ago

I bought an electric cement mixer for just $100 It is well made and works great (so far). I couldn't find a comparable mixer for anything close to that price.

• vinnyc
    17 years ago

I agree, too. Harbor Freight tools are a great deal. I bought a 19.2 volt cordless drill from them that's more powerful and holds a charge longer than any other I ever owned. It came with more stuff than advertised, a full set of drill bits, a full set of tips, and a depth guage in a nice sturdy case. If you ask me, it's Sears that sells junk.

• subywu
    17 years ago

I am lucky to have a HF retail outlet near me. Gotta love those sales they have frequently. For the money, they are definitely worth it. On some sales, the deals you get are unbelievable.

• den69rs96
    17 years ago

I've bought IR impact sockets from them, a remanufactured Ryobi trimmer with tiller and edger attachments, a die grinder, and a transmission adapter for a floor jack, some clamps and everything has worked great for me. I did buy a $10 garden hose from them and it popped a leak the first time I used it. All I can say is they do have some great deals, but they also carry some junk. If something looks like junk, it probably is.

• pjdbm
    17 years ago

I bought a HF pressure washer made by Northstar and had no problems,than I upgraded to a Karcher with a Honda and had many issues.

I bought a HF Cement mixer and mixed about 100k lbs of cement with it and still have it.

The rest of my tools are name brand.Dewalt,Milwakee,Craftsman,Bostitch,Echo