SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

What is your favorite Climbing Rose?

Molineux
16 years ago

There is just something about climbing roses that is so romantic. Frankly, I'm hard pressed to think of anything as beautiful as a rose covered bower. So I thought I'd start a thread on climbing roses. What are your favorite climbing roses? What do you look for in a climbing rose?

For me the perfect climbing rose would grow well on its own roots, show outstanding vigor by maturing in under three years, bloom profusely in the spring followed by consistent repeat for the rest of the summer, bloom along the entire length of the canes, have thorn free flexible canes well clothed in lush black spot resistant foliage, hardy to zone 6, and most importantly bloom in clusters with sinfully fragrant nodding globular to quartered flowers that cleanly drop their petals at the end of their lives.

In all honesty no rose has had all these qualities but I continue to search. One day I'll find the perfect climbing rose but in the meantime I'll make do with:

SOMBREUIL (Large Flowered Climber, 1959) - my favorite climbing rose. Has many of the qualities I'm looking for, including large fragrant ivory flowers, GA-GA-GA-Gorgeous Old Graden Rose (OGR) flower form, excellent vigor, good repeat, decent disease resistance, fully hardy in my zone, tolerant of partial shade, and graceful growth habit. Alas the flowers don't nod and the thorns are downright vicious; traits I'm able to forgive because of the glorious flowers that smell like heaven. I grow mine as a tall fountaining shrub. Other favorite climbing roses include CLOTILDE SOUPERT (Climbing Polyantha, 1902), REINE DES VIOLETTES (Hybrid Perpetual, 1860) and THE PILGRIM (English Rose, 1991).

Image of Sombreuil by Missy GardenWhimsy at Hortiplex.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sombreuil OD

Comments (19)