SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archdiver

TroyBilt Super Tomahawk chipper-shredder - custom tow bar

Being the 4 year owner of this 1989 machine which I purchased from the 2nd owner who left it unused in a dry barn for 12 years, I have used it quite often with excellent results. The original owner however, had it for 7 years (if my math is correct) and apparently left it by his compost pile during seasonal use. Therefore, there's a slight bit of weathering to the finish.

Regardless, for a 23 year old heavy duty chipper/shredder, it's in great shape. The chipper blade and hammer flails are in like-new condition, as is the 8 hp Briggs engine. Electric start works well too after trying with my JD's battery, but haven't yet purchased a dedicated battery. There's really no need anyway - starts on 1st or 2nd pull.

Problem is, the brush piles and compost bins are about > 200 feet from the garden/tool sheds, and this sucker is heavy to haul by hand. Since I'd like it protected in a shed when not in use, I've been meaning to build a tow bar, but have not gotten around to it 'till this past weekend.

For those who may be interested, I designed and built my own using 3/4" EMT (electircal/mechanical conduit), some scrap aluminum bar stock from a kicker motor lift from a long-past power boat and various frameclamp fittings left over from a winter cover from our last cruising sailboat. The result is perfect for my needs and works wonderfully. Best part is, it only cost me $6 in materials from HD.

Pics below are of poor quality, taken with my cell phone is a dimly lit garage. Once the chipper/shreddder is outdoors and in use next week, I will take better photos using the Olympus 14D. I did haul it around the property a couple days ago using the lawn tractor over mixed terrain, and I'm very pleased . . . will probably use it more often now.

If anyone has interest, I can supply dimensions and a parts list.

{{gwi:307027}}

{{gwi:307028}}

{{gwi:307029}}

{{gwi:307030}}

{{gwi:307031}}

{{gwi:307032}}

{{gwi:307033}}

Comments (19)