SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garycinchicago

Amending soil for lawn seed bed

garycinchicago
16 years ago

Grubs did a number on my lawn last summer - all my own fault. I had planned to dormant seed a section (30 X 40) this spring, but have since changed my mind. I'm going in! I'll Round it Up and completely renovate this fall. I figure, if I'm going to spend $ on seed and other things, I might as well just do it right for a few bucks more and a little work.

But here is my problem. The lawn is old Merion Blue sod ... 40 plus years old. Never been core aerated, and rolled often. To assume my soil is compacted is a given. Now I have all spring and summer for soil prep, so I'm thinking to roto-till the area. I own a Mantis, but I consider this a finisher, not a rougher. I would rent a heavy duty roto-tiller and then I would finish with my Mantis, for a finer tilling. Tilling up weed seeds early in the season does not worry me. I'll use Round Up later.

Now I'm in Chicago, so finding compost is impossible. Compost is not a viable consideration in this city.

Any "top soil" I purchase is just fill. There is no top soil, period. Everything is built up, everywhere you go.

Sphagnum peat moss is readily available. It would add softness to the soil, creating a loam and absorb / hold moisture.

Mushroom compost, composted manure, and organic manures are all available in bags at my local big box stores. I have used these products for gardening before, but it introduced new weeds into my garden that I have never seen before.

So if you were in my situation, what would you amend the soil with? Humanic acid maybe?

Also, grading the area I question. The lawn is bordered on three sides by concrete sidewalks. Does one grade level with sidewalks? What about settling? Sure I'll roll, but it still settles, and if I add peat moss, that will decompose. I'm trying to picture how I would want to cut the grass with two wheels riding the concrete.

I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks - Gary

Comments (8)