SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlota_gw

Darn Rain, a source of inspiration!

carlota
12 years ago

Hi Rosy Friends,

The news said we were going to have a big storm, lots of rain and heavy down pours. Usually that's a cause for celebration in my home. The roses after rain are glorious to behold, normally I hear that it's going to rain and am filled with glee. But oh dear, not today!!!

Today, my roses are covered in their first spring display - laden with buds, and glorious blooms. Some of blooms do fine in the rain and continue on happily displaying their beautiful blooms.

But there are those few roses, you know the ones with the petals just a little too thin - so the awaited rain takes the roses blossoms and makes them ball up. In a moment of inspiration, I decided to go out and cut all the blooms that would be damaged by the rain and enjoy them in the house.

My DH sweetly checked the weather website and told me we had about an hour before the rain would start. I threw on a jacket, grabbed a bucket, my clippers and reached for my gloves and they weren't there!! Oh well, I headed out the garden without my gloves, my husband following me and immediately noticed that my hair was getting wet.

As I cut the stems, he put them in the bucket. We ran out of space quickly and he started laying them on the bistro table. Turning to hand him another handful of roses I noticed he had gloves on and he had an umbrella covering his head... I thought I was supposed to worry about messing up my hair by getting it wet! :)

Lightening was dancing and thunder was booming and rain was pouring down on me and undaunted I continued my cutting. I only experienced two serious problems, apparently my clippers weren't made to be held with wet hands and somehow I kept getting my hair caught by thorns and had a tough time extracting myself from them!

We did it! I managed to save almost all the beautiful blooms and managed to get a few extras! Now all that's left to do is pull out my vases and plunk them in! I also learned that when I am working with my roses I don't even notice the rain, except for when my clippers slip!

I will hopefully be able to post a few pictures of my roses soon; my house is going to smell fantastic! And oh how lovely it will be with all those roses around the house. Now I can relax, enjoy the storm and know that the garden will flourish thanks to Mother Nature.

But seriously, has anyone else done something crazy like that? I would love to hear your stories.

Your wet rose-crazed friend,

Carlota

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional