SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

We visited a strange nursery yesterday, what do you think?

We were planning a trip to a nursery we have visited a number of times in the past and to make things more interesting I looked up nurseries along the way to try something new. This new nursery which will remain nameless, was an interesting place to visit. Attractive setting, interesting items in the g*ift shop, healthy looking stock. I bought a couple of small items but didn't come h*ome with what I thought I was going to buy.

They had a website showing photos of gorgeous succulents, cute topiaries and a gorgeous mophead h*ydrangea that I wanted. I didn't see prices on the website. Turns out they were what I consider expensive, more than expensive. I noticed a dark lilac which I have been looking for, it was $75. The succulents were the large ones that look like r*oses. They were $20 a piece, which may be usual. But the topiaries!! Wow! The three tiered ones were $125. They were small. I swear they were in an 6- 8" pot and were just myrtle. I wasn't considering getting one once I saw the price, but I did ask about growing conditions. I'm looking at these tiny pots and thinking how would you keep them watered outside? I have part shade over a lot of my yard, so I thought maybe you could put them in part shade. The employee said that even 4 hours seemed like too little sun for the myrtle. So why do they put them in tiny pots that you would have to keep watering? Were they thinking they were destined to be h*ouseplants?

I was drooling over the photo of the h*ydrangea on the website, turns out it was not hardy to my zone and they were in a zone colder than I am. I was very disappointed. So I left it there. I came home with a couple of vegetable seedlings and a hose nozzle. [g]

But I did learn a lesson. Look over the website more carefully and call ahead and ask questions about what you want to buy.

Comments (16)