SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you take precautions when visiting nuseries? What do you do?

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Do you take precautions when visiting nuseries? What do you do to protect your plants?

This is what I do and what I have learned by many here. maybe many more can benefit from a thread as this..

I have a habit of visiting these nice cozy and warm nurseries so often this time of year, especially Logee's..

I can spend ALL day these places with no jacket and feel like I am in the tropics while it is snowing outside..I find it peaceful, relaxing, and even theraputic..

But sorry to say, once I come home, I make it a habit to leave my clothes outside and shower before I ever go near any of my plants..

Some of theset places can be loaded with pest's, such as mites, thrips, mealy and so on.

I am always concerned that any one of these can hitchhike home with me..

Therefore the reason why I take precautions..

I know a man that makes you wear booties and a dispesable outfit before you can walk into his orchid house..

It is a good thing that people like us are educated about these know what precautions to take before we go into our homes or even bring plants home from these places..

I feel bad for unsuspecting customers whom haven't got a clue about these things..

Maybe it's better they didn't..lol

At the last nursery I visited, I was informed after walking for hours in there that their plants were infested with the "Asian thrip", a difficult pest to irradicte, and that is all it took for me to almost strip before even sitting in my car..

Would you believe the owner suggested that I wash all my clothes and shower before I even go near any of my own houseplants?

I hope that these nurseries you visit are much better off than the ones that I visit although beautiful...For mw the work it takes to keep these buggers away from my home and plants is worth the effort to visist these make believe tropical paradises..

One also has to watch out when brushing up against plants in Walmart and other box stores since I have seen a many of these infested too..Can any of these bugs jump into your hair and clothes like this?

Mike..:-)

Comments (18)