SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

I.d. huge fragrant red globular rose bloom?

luxrosa
14 years ago

A neighbor of mine brought me a rose blossom in hopes I could I.D. it but I have never seen a red rose like it before.

Rose in bud is carmine-red, opens with the outer petals maturing to a rich wine-violet red, but the rest of the petals inside remain a rich deep carmine-red.

- the bloom is very large and heavy (the heaviest rose blossom I've ever held) and when the sepals are down, but the rose has not begun to open its petals, the rosebud is is slightly bigger than a baseball.

-Foliage is a light green, on the 4 inches of stem below the bloom, and there were only the tiniest prickles, not brushes, but tiny little things, on the lower 4 inches of stem on the sample rose.

It reminds me of the Hybrid Perpetual class.

50+ petals, so packed with petals he says it rarely opens fully in our coastal climate.

-very fragrant, of Damask rose. The rose bearer said that when one red rose blossom opens in a vase in his living room it spreads its fragrance through the entire room.

Rose bearer said his partner grew their rosebush from a cutting he had picked from a rosebush in Berkeley, California, whose owner said that Berkeley rosebush was "100 years old".

I'm not a premium member of hmf.com/roses or I'd do a detailed search of red Hybrid Perpetuals.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas as to what the name of this huge, very fragrant red globular rose might be.

Thanks,

Lux.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!