SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growing_in_oh

Mantis mini tiller review

growing_in_oh
15 years ago

Special thanks to all who answered my post about mini tillers a few days ago. Here is what I ended up buying and I thought I would put my experience out there for anyone looking into this tiller.

I bought a Mantis 4 stroke with the Honda engine. I got it at a Napa shop that carries the Mantis brand and it was the best price that I found at $389. It came with none of the extras (no "kick stand", edger, etc.). I hope that I don't come to regret not purchasing it direct from Mantis. I did not realize that the warantee was different. If you want to read about warantee problems with other tillers, please do a search on Yungman here at Gardenweb.

I have only used the tiller for about an hour and a half so far, but I know I am going to be using this a lot in my 40x40 garden and various flower beds. You definitely have to pull the machine toward you while you walk backwards. Let it walk itself to the next spot forward and then have it dig in as you walk it backward again.

It is a great machine! Having said that, there are a few problems that I have with it. I am 5' 2" so I am well below the height of the "average male" that the world seems to be designed for. The handles are not adjustable, so in order for the tiller to work best (in an upright position rather than tilted back toward me) I have to run the thing with my hands held above my shoulders. Try doing that for any length of time! I am never going to have to lift weights during the growing season. It seemed to me that it should work the same whether tilted or upright, but it just dug in better upright.

Another thing is that my hands are not the size of the "average male" either. To keep the tiller's tines in motion, you have to keep your hands on the throttle and grip the handles at the same time. This would not be a big deal if you have larger hands. My hands must be held higher up on the grip which just happens to be right next to the switch that turns the entire machine off. One tiny bounce and my hand turns the whole blessed machine off! I wish that you could set the throttle to a certain speed and then be able to hold the machine further back on the grip.

Which brings me to this problem with the machine. The throttle speed depends on how much you are pulling the trigger on the right handle. As you are pulling back on the machine (at least in my heavy soil) you can't help but pull harder on the trigger, which in turn throttles it up, etc. One more reason to be able to set the throttle at a set speed.

My last issue is that in some of my garden, it didn't bite down into the soil as much as I'd have liked. This was cleared soil, but had not been tilled since last summer. This may become a non-issue once I go through the entire garden with my larger, rear-tine tiller once and use the Mantis to keep it up the rest of the season. However, it may be an issue if anyone is considering this tiller as their only tiller. You could see where the tines were digging into the soil, but it wasn't breaking it up. This soil is also not amended because it is the path between my raised beds. If you have nicer soil, disregard this!

One problem that someone with "average male" hands will have that was actually an advantage for my small hands (finally an advantage!) was clearing out the tines. I have not used the tool they sell for cleaning out the tines, but I can see the advantage. I did cut my thumb cleaning them out, so even if you have small hands you may want to invest in the tool.

This machine is also not built for removal of larger weeds in heavier soils. It clogs the tines pretty quick in that situation. Lighter soils would probably not have that issue. Others have posted that the mini tillers work best if you remove sod for a new bed. Keep this in mind if you want this to work on an overgrown existing garden as well or if you are looking for something to till in a green cover crop. I don't know if anyone would expect this to work in that capacity, but just trying to cover all the bases!

I am hoping that some of these issues resolve as I become more used to the machine and learn how to better control it. It will also depend on your soil. This machine would be phenomenal in lighter soil!!

Overall I am really happy with this purchase and it looks like it will work beautifully for my intended purposes. I look forward to using it this summer! I may try to modify it for my height, but I will contact Mantis first to make sure it doesn't nullify the warantee.

Comments (8)