SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19715097

Flores Street House Eater - San Antonio

User
15 years ago

Does anyone here have contact info for the property owners? We drove by when we were in San Antonio last week and the rose is absolutely gorgeous. I would love some cuttings, but did not want to ring the doorbell and bother them without asking first.

Also, I heard a couple years ago that someone was going to do a gene test to determine if the rose is Lamarque, does anyone know if this was done and what the outcome was?

Comments (57)

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

I remembered seeing a larger photo a few years back on the HRF site. I finally found it. It shows the rose from a slightly different perspective. (At the link, scroll down a bit to find the pic.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flores St Rose @ HRF

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jax, love that photo, thanks for linking it. When we saw it, it was in full bloom and spilling over the fence onto the sidewalk. Just a gorgeous rose and such a wonderful scent. So sad it's no longer there. The property looks different, they replaced the chain link with a tall wooden fence which is overgrown with really thick foliage to where you can't see into the property. But Hubby was able to look through a gap on the top and saw what appeared to be the huge dried up trunk and no evidence of rose canes.

• Related Discussions

San Felipe Noisette - Some Info, Please

Q

Comments (14)
    We now have: Brightside Cream, from Bermuda Flores Street House Eater, from San Antonio? San Filipe Noisette, also from San Antonio, which might or might not be the same rose as Brightside Cream. If those two, from San Antonio and Bermuda are shown to be the same rose, they must at one time have been in commerce. Then, there are two roses being sold as 'Lamarque'. VG offers a Thomasville Lamarque, which is possibly the Lamarque grown throughout the South, and a California Lamarque, which is said to be a bigger bush with bigger flowers. VG also sells Brightside Cream. If it were the same rose as either Lamarque, someone in CA would most likely have noticed already. Is there any possiblilty that the Flores Street House Eater and the CA Lamarque might be the same rose? H. B. Ellwanger complained, back in 1882, about "too much alike roses". Among Noisettes which he thought were too much alike, he listed Lamarque and Jeanne d'Arc. That would not be the Noisette bush we now grow under that name. Is it possible that one of the foundlings which look like Lamarque but are not exactly Lamarque might be the original tea-Noisette Jeanne d'Arc?
    ...See More

HAVE: San Antonio Spring swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Okay, I'll bring some fig cuttings. Thank for the offer, but I have three figs trees which is all I have room for. Does anyone have seeds or small plants of the little vine LOVE IN A PUFF? If you do I'd like to get it going again. Reworked the beds it was in so thoroughly it didn't come back this year. BTW, I found some four inch pots of PORTERWEED at ARE so don't need those. Hopefully, I'll have some to share next year. See you all about this time tomorrow :-) MacArthur Park opens at 9:00.
    ...See More

HAVE: Plant Swap in San Antonio

Q

Comments (0)
    March 7th (Saturday) Schultze House Plant Swap 10am - 1pm . Bring wagons for transporting plants. It will be a ticket type plant swap. Parking is available across the street on Durango in the parking lots or park along Durango at the parking meters or on the side streets for free. If you don't have plants to swap then donations are accepted for the plants, all donations will be presented to Pat Harris for the Schultze House Garden for a special plant. We also will accept all plant donations for the gardens or the Schultze House Shop. We are starting to do plant sales and will need container plants that will be sold at the shop and will be going towards the maintainence of the shop and gardens.
    ...See More

HAVE: San Antonio Fall Swap Oct. 8, 2011--Pix of New Location

Q

Comments (150)
    going to be loading my car as well soon, just in case we get some rain - I would like everything to be in there, I have other things I did not mention before - plants that is, that I am bringing too- sure there will be people there who are just starting- and I started doing clippings and now have way too many of some things out here.
    ...See More
  • jerijen
    10 years ago

I am really sorry to hear this. It's a crying shame to see a good old plant like this lost. I guess it was inevitable -- not everyone wants to deal with something that immense, but tragic, nonetheless.

Jeri

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri, it really is. I could just kick myself for not getting more cuttings. If I remember correctly, Peaceful Habitations sold rooted cuttings from the house eater. But they are closed too, last time we drove by it looked like they had completely gone out of business and the property was for sale.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I have a friend here in San Antonio who took cuttings from the 'Flores Street House Eater' and grows it in her yard. Sometime this fall maybe I can go over and get some cuttings to send to you. I know what it is like to want a rose and not be able to find it. Email me through my page. Your page is not set up to receive email.

I had it, but gave it up along with most of my other roses when I discovered chilli thrips on them.. It bloomed early on and the scent was wonderful. It reminded me of the scent of "Marechal Niel".

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

It's been determined that 'Lamarque' has a very long history in San Antonio. Wm. Welch, in "Antique Roses for the South", writes about a contest in 1987 to locate the oldest existing rose plant in San Antonio, using old photos and other records as documentation.

The winner was not the Flores St rose. It was, however, a 'Lamarque' that had been growing in the same location for at least 97 years (in 1987). Welch doesn't report the size of the plant, but does state that it had been badly neglected/abused for several years. There must have been a happy ending for that rose, though. Welch concludes his remarks on that old 'Lamarque' by writing, "--but it soon demonstrated the resilience of the old varieties."

The Flores St rose is/was a remarkable specimen. I wonder if, among American rose plants, it was surpassed in size only by the Tombstone, AZ banksia. Does anyone know?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, what a kind offer! Thanks so much. I sent you an email so you have my email address. So good to know parts of that beautiful rose are still in existence in San Antonio.
    Jax, we went to see the Tombstone rose years ago, and it was quite amazing. Would be interesting to find out if there are any others even close in size to that one.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Petra, I got your email, but at the bottom it said:

(PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

The contact information has to be changed on 'your page' for your email addy to appear. But you know how to contact me so if you decide you want some cuttings, or my friend might even have some rooted cuttings which is what I got from her, just let me know and put a contact address within your email.

Or maybe just get a Larmarque since many believe it is the same rose.

Wishing you all the best in roses!

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

What a shame, all it needed was a new house. I'm glad pieces live on.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Petra, I've never seen a 'Lamarque' that big, but there are banksiaes in the Sacramento City Cemetery that I think are probably bigger than the Tombstone Rose (which gets cut back periodically).

Jeri

• windeaux
    10 years ago

Just last evening I came upon a poignant reference to the Tombstone rose while reading "Son of a Gun", a recent, and very elegantly written, memoir by Justin St. Germain.

Part of the author's harrowing childhood was spent in Tombstone, site of so much gun violence during Arizona's territorial days.

His remarks about what he refers to as the World's Largest Rosebush: "It's my favorite place in all of Tombstone, the only pure thing in this whole town, the only attraction that doesn't depend on somebody dying."

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, that is true.

Tombstone, today, seems to me to be so tawdry. But if you get to that little museum at the right time, and open the door out into that shaded area under the rose, the scent of violets wraps all around you.

Even when it was younger and smaller, it must have been an oasis of sanity in a hard world.

Jeri

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Wow. Sobering tributes to a singular rose. St Germain's words are indeed poignant, Windeaux; and Jeri's ". . . oasis of sanity in a hard world" observation perfectly illuminates the author's sentiment.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I was thinking the other day that we need gardens more than ever now. More parks, more gardens, more peacefulness and birdsong.

I always had a crazy dream of getting spaces purchased in the So. CA cities to make greenways that would link cities together so that you could walk or bike and never see a car. Every now and then would be a park. We have the Santa Ana river trail that goes to the ocean but it's not that green. Still, it's something and you can see herons and other birds there. I was reading how people were fighting to save some invasive trees that had grown in the LA river channel. They wanted to remove them to restore the channel in case of flooding but the people loved the wildness of the trees and the birds that came there and fought to save it.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

The river trees.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitty, me too! It would be such a shame if this rose would disappear for good. Thanks to Roselee's friend and others it will continue on. And what beautiful trees, hopefully they will be saved.
    Jeri, from what I remember, Mr. Cooper from Peaceful Habitations thinks it's likely Brightside Cream. Flores Street looks a lot like it. It is also supposed to have a very strong scent and the House Eater certainly did. After we took cuttings, the few blooms on the cuttings scented up the entire car with a very strong lemony scent.
    Windeaux, am going to try to read the book you quoted, sounds interesting. We last saw Tombstone - and the rose - in the early 80's. The town is certainly very touristy but also very atmospheric. I always love the annual timed-for-Halloween "Haunted Tombstone" TV shows. :)

• buford
    10 years ago

I really hope it's not Lamarque! I have Lamarque in a pot and plan on planting it in my yard. But I don't have room for that!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

buford, better buy a really large trellis, just in case. Or plant it next to your house. :o)

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Hi Petra----How are you?---This is a wonderful post--also very sad----I love the river trees----
    Thank goodness for the folks who try to save all these wonderful old roses---I'm afraid we are losing my wonderful old Paul's Himalayan Musk to RRD and it breaks my heart.
    Florence

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Florence, you are missed! Got your email and sent you one back, your account should be straightened out shortly.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I am Roselee's friend who has the Flores Street House Eater Rose. I took cuttings for a lady in Dallas 10 years ago, who was to drive down and pick them up. She posted that the rose was going to be destroyed, and begged for someone to please take cuttings, to save this piece of history. I stayed up until midnight trimming them just like she told me, and packing them in wet paper towels, then storing in the bottom drawer of the frig. She did drive down with her friend, I was to meet them after work. I did not want the rose for myself. I waited for the call, she never called. Later I found out that she had to drive back to Dallas because her friends grandson was in an accident. I posted on the Gardening in Texas forum, but since I did not know how to pack them, they did not make it. I was out quite a bit postage. I did not want the rose, and decided to just thow it away. My husband took some cutting and just stuck them in dirt that was in pots on our back patio. They rooted. I am now the owner of the Flores Street Eater. Good news, is that it is not dead, and anyone in Texas that wants cuttings just has to email me, I will let them take cuttings. I am constantly having to trim back this beast. It is at least 15 ft wide. It is definitely a re-bloomer. Barbra

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

So glad this fine old rose is still around! Barbara, you should contact the Antique Rose Emporium in Independence - bet they would want cuttings and would probably eventually put it in commerce so it would not be lost. Greg Grant, at the Stephen F. Austin horticultural dept. in Nacogdoches might also be interested, as might Chamblees in Tyler.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

If they want cuttings, they can have them. I contacted the Antique Rose Emporium when it was here in San Antonio, I think the owner lived in the Hill Country, he also worked at USAA insurance company. He seemed interested, but never followed thru. Since I am not a rose person, I was trying to find it a good home. I did not want this rose, but it is now apart of my life. I kept it in a big clay pot, but it broke thru and now cannot be moved, its very thick like a tree. It requires no attention, I don't even water it. It has never been fed, it grows and blooms non stop. This rose needs lots of room to grow. Really a hardy rose. Never had black spot or aphids, its the perfect rose for someone like me. How I ended up with it, is a long story, that my husband likes to tell. Barbra

8 years ago

Found this post while looking for information on the House Eater. It is going to be offered at an upcoming arboretum sale so guess Gregg Grant got some cuttings. I intend to get one - wish I knew what rose it is - Brightside Cream? Lamarque? Anyone have any recent information on it?

• jardineratx
    8 years ago

I don't think that this rose has been identified yet. Is this rose going to be available at the SFA fall plant sale? I am fortunate to have this rose in my garden now. I received a rooted plant from a relative in San Antonio this January and planted it along my fence line. Even though it was in a small 6" pot, it has grown beautifully and has several bloom buds on it. I will post photos when this beauty blooms.

Molly

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

Very interesting post, glad you revived it! Where and when will the sale be that you are going to attend? I have some time off and would love to try to make it if it's during my week off.

8 years ago

Yes, it is going to be at the SFA sale in Nacogdoches, Tx. I can provide a list of roses they will have if anyone is interested. It will be April 2 - one of my favorite spring outings!! Would love to see any photos of it!

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

Thanks Alameda! Nacogdoches is a few hours away from me, that would be a good day trip for me. I will have to see if I can make it.

8 years ago

Boncrow, if you come, get there early, sale starts promptly at 9am and it is like the Oklahoma Land Rush! So much fun! Usually there is plenty for everyone but a few things sell out early.

• boncrow66
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sounds awesome thanks! Do you mind posting the list of roses?

jardineratx thanks for posting those pics, they are beautiful! How big is yours? I would love to have this rose but not sure I have room for something that could eat a house lol.

8 years ago

From memory real quick w/out looking at the list - Enchantress, Spray Cecile Brunner, Flores St. House Eater, Scottsville Rose, Farmer's Belinda's Dream [once blooming possible offspring of BD], Cl. Caldwell Pink, Big Momma's Musk, Fragrant Snowflake [single white banksia], Nacogdoches, Queenie. There may be a couple of more, got to go pick up my granddaughter, will check the SFA list and list more if there are any. I got a lovely Satin Cream Tea there a few years ago, but they haven't listed it in awhile. Gregg Grant comes across some interesting ones....I am giving them cuttings of some of my more rare ones when they grow out more. Wonderful source, spring and fall, for many interesting plants! I always say I am not going to buy much, but I always drag home a pickup truck load! So much fun, you should try to come!!

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

That's sounds like so much fun, I am going to try to squeeze it in my for my time off. Thanks for giving me a quick list of roses they will be selling. I have the Rose Nacogdoches and its my husbands favorite.

8 years ago

If you decide to come, let me know, maybe we can meet. If you cant, and you want me to pick up one/some of the roses for you, I will be happy to. The other roses are Miss Caroline, Mrs. BR Cant, La Marne. They are all very healthy. I got Miss Caroline last fall, its just starting to bloom - lovely!

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

I will for sure let you know if I can make it! Your so sweet to offer saving me a rose too. I looked up Miss Caroline and she looks like a lovely rose. We already have a full week planned so not sure if I will be able to squeeze the trip in but ya never know, I might be going to Canton that weekend and that means a trip to Chamblees too :).

8 years ago

My gardening friends and I are planning Tyler next week for the Azalea Trail with side trips to Blue Moon, Hand Nurseries.....and maybe David Austin to pick up some extra roses I don't need! So many great road trips! And don't leave out Antique Rose Emporium! Do you ever get to that Farmer's Branch rose garden? I would love to go there.......but quite a ways from me. Miss Caroline is very healthy and blooms well - looking forward to getting it in the ground and am sure it will take off and really show me something. Big Momma's Musk sounds interesting.......

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

That sounds like a fun weekend trip Alameda! I didn't know you could stop by David Austin and pick up roses without ordering them, I may have to swing by there as well as Chamblees! I have not been to ARE yet but want to plan a trip soon and I have never heard of Farmers Branch rose garden, I'll have to look that up.

8 years ago

On DA - you do have to pre-order the roses. They need several days notice before you pick up. Very easy, and it saves me on shipping and the really neat Hand Nursery is right down the road[the best blooming annuals at fair prices]. Take the toll road 49 from Hwy. 64 that DA and Hand are located on, and it puts you right on I-20 - get off @ Tyler exit and it takes you right to Chamblees! What a treat - DA, Hand Nursery, Blue Moon and Chamblees!! When I go, I am doing all 4 of these places, and if you happen to find your way to Frankston, which isn't that far, there is this great antique place that has really neat, unusual plants, garden ironwork - just a fun place - called Pandora's Box. Think they have a website. A trip well worth taking - except for the bank account, ha ha! Oh, and ARE - FABULOUS display gardens! You NEED to go! Take a picnic lunch, eat on the grounds and enjoy a day of drooling over these magnificent gardens! And so many wonderful roses to choose from!! I ordered 4 of the new Pioneer roses because I couldn't wait! Ah, spring!!

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

That all sounds like loads of fun! Let us know about all your wonderful new roses and post pics! I need to look up the new pioneer roses at ARE. Thanks for all the great suggestions

8 years ago

A new Pioneer rose, Doreen's Centennial, has lots of blooms on it, they are just opening up, a beautiful candy pink sort of mixed with lighter pink - will try to post a photo later. Really lovely! Will take camera and get photos of the SFA event - hope you can make it!

• armyyife
    8 years ago

Wow that is some rose! I have Lamarque and it does look and sound by what she smells like to be that rose (one of my favorites) but man I never knew it could grow into a house eater! Don't know if I missed the comment but is anyone certain of what that rose is?

8 years ago

The SFA sale was so much fun! As usual, I bought way more than I intended to, but they have so many unusual things there you cant get at most nurseries. They had only 5 House Eaters and I got one! Also got an Enchantress, an own root Nacogdoches, a found rose by Gregg Grant, Big Momma's Musk, among other things like lavender salvia greggii, a couple of young dogwoods [going to try yet again to get these things o live!], 3 kinds of phlox, 3 Phlox Pink native azaleas, blue Baptista, several different kinds of tomatoes trialed by Texas A&M, Chinese fringe trees, Clematis Sugar-Sweet Blue and Stars & Stripes Pentas. As is that wasn't enough, went to Cook's Nursery - got lady banksia for a fenceline, Chrysler Imperial and Pink Peace and some annuals to go in big pots. Suffice it to say - I was a glutton! What fun we had - then ate at Clear Springs, so finished off my gluttonous day with a great meal. Today - I am planting! Hope some of you might have gotten to the sale - they had a reggae band playing, lots of people and beautiful plants. They have a fall sale around the first of October with more great plants.

I have a question about the Flores St. House Eater - does it bloom all year or just once? Mine is in bad need of repotting out of its gallon pot - going to leave it in a pot until I figure out a good place to put it.

• jerijen
    8 years ago

Wasn't it identified as 'Lamarque' -- if that's the case, it will repeat through the year in SoCal.

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

Alameda regarding your Dogwood trees, I planted a pink one and white one 3 yeas ago and the lady who I bought them from told me that the roots on dogwood trees grow shallow and the trick is to keep the roots shaded. So I planted each of mine on the edge of some azalea bushels where the branches and leaves keep the roots shaded and I also put leaves and mulch covering the roots on the ground. So far this has worked and mine have lived and grown for the last 3 years. I know they are hard to get going so hope this helps and good luck with them. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the SFA sale and got some awesome new plants and roses.

8 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the dogwoods! I was also told by the owner of a new nursery to dig the hole, fill it with water, carefully cut the pot off the dogwood and put the plant in the water then pile the dirt on it and mulch well, letting it start out in the mud. I will try all this!

Jeri, I have read about the House Eater being Lamarque, but wasn't sure this was actually the case. I have a couple of young potted Lamarques that I will be able to compare this one to.

• jardineratx
    8 years ago

The Flores St rose is a good re-bloomer. I believe that Lamarque has been ruled out as to the identity of the Flores St. rose.

Molly

• jerijen
    8 years ago

If it's NOT 'Lamarque,' and hasn't been identified as something else, it really would be nice if it could be shared more widely.

It's SO easy for things to be lost.

• jardineratx
    8 years ago

I agree Jeri. When I was given 4 rooted plants, I only kept one for myself and quickly gave one to Mike Shoup at The Antique Rose Emporium. It's a beautiful rose and it needs to made readily available.

Molly

8 years ago

Mine is a small plant in a 1 gallon pot. Will be happy to share when it gets larger - which apparently it will do in short order!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    7 years ago

[raises hand] Is the House Eater still up for cuttings? I would love to get a few down here in the RGV.