SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsauceman81

Buried lumber, possible soil contamination?

bsauceman81
16 years ago

Hi,

I am clearing some brush for a cold frame and came across a small pile of really old lumber. I have no idea how long its been there, my house is 18 years old but I've only lived here 2.

Most of the pile was 1"X6"X16'planks of what I'm assuming is some kind of untreated softwood. The pieces on the top I could break in my hand and pieces towards the bottom are totally rotten, almost dirt. What I'm concerned about are these planks had some kind of paint on them that flaked of in large chunks.

I picked most of the chunks up but I am sure there are more in there and plenty dissolved into the soil. There were a few other random pieces of wood that were completely preserved and had that slight green hue of pressure treated lumber. So I'm fairly certain the majority of the wood was untreated, but I'm concerned about the paint in regards to soil contamination.

I plan on growing various food crops including root crops like carrots in this cold frame.

My questions are:

1) Should I be concerned at all?

2) Will just shoveling out the surrounding soil around the rotten wood and replacing it suffice to remove the threat of growing contaminated food?

3) If no for #2, what measures should I take for soil remediation?

4) Will a regular university soil test check for this type of this or will I have to find a specialized lab?

Thanks

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting