SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_n_jessa

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Rion

jeff-n-jessa
16 years ago

OK, after much teeth gnashing, late-night surfing, comparisons, and second guessing I finally decided on a greenhouse. Thanks to everyone who threw in their opinions and expertise. In the end, I decided to go with a company that sells a lot of GH's whose warts are pretty well-known (in addition to their positives!).

I ordered a Rion Green Giant 8'6"x16, which is a newer model (most of what I've read here is about the Professional series). It has an 8' ceiling and 6mm doublewall polycarbonate (rather than 6'7' and 4mm). It also has a bunch of extra goodies thrown in, like auto openers, benches, shade cloth, which makes if a little more 'turn key'. I almost went with the Sun Country, but it was $2K more and he couldn't guarantee I would get it by September. I ordered from IGC, and the prices seemed comparable to others - there also weren't any red flags about that company as far as I could see.

So, I should expect a bunch of boxes on my doorstep early next week! I'm going to do a simple foundation - clear the sod 6' down, surround with 4X4's and fill with gravel. If I really get ambitious I may rent a ditch witch and try to sink some insulation, but we'll see... The kit comes with a base which I've heard is pretty flimsy, so I may mount it on 2X10's for even more height.

Anyone else have the Green Giant or Prestige (similar models)? Any advice before I start setting it up?

Link to the model below.

Thanks, Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: pix of GH

Comments (11)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio