SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koehler_gw

Over-producing apple tree ?

15 years ago

Hi All,

I purchased a house built in 1978 about 4 years ago. Between SF and Sacramento.

There is a ~25' apple tree in the back which I would guess is a Granny as apples are always green.

The tree has always been very productive, enough so that from the end of summer through early winter my nights are punctuated by the tinkling of apples dropping onto my deck.

Early this year I did some trimmming to the tree as it was seriously over hanging my deck, and I'd read that they should be trimmed every so often. I did a fairly mediocre job, as I was more afraid of taking too much off. But did remove a lot of saplings.

In the spring it flowered and started budding again. A lot. About a month or so ago, I noticed a large number of the small apples ( size of a chestnut) had dropped off. Quick count seems to be two to three hundred.

Currently, my tree is absolutely drooping with tons of other apples. Enough that I've had a 2" limb break off, and another 1" one recently.

I am wondering if this is normal? I was thinking of fertilizing last year, but didn't get around to it. Now I'm glad.

I can get a pic posted, but was curious as to whether my trimming stimulated this or not.

Thanks,

Fred

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022