SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Todays Rose Haul- Milk Carton Roses

newyorkrita
16 years ago

Well, its that time of year again. This is the third year I am posting about what roses I found locally each spring. I usually have one about Milk Carton Roses too but this year they are combined in one post.

Went shopping today. Was very proud of myself when at my first stop which was Home Depot I completely ignorned the bagged roses of which they had rows and rows. Instead I bought my Peat Moss, Shepards Hooks, Panseys, bird seed, an elephant ear tuber and some hardware I needed and left.

Next stop Hicks, I great local nursery were I bought about 20 of the J&P Milk Carton Roses last year. I was very dissapointed to see that they had only about 1/3 as many Milk Carton Roses as they carried last year. I was talking to a lady who worked there (who just happened to have a roses garden too) and she said they decided not to carry as many this year as last spring. I think its because of all the freeze damage on many of the early roses last year and I remember they had lots of dead and dying ones in the Milk Cartons and I am sure that caused problems. Last year I had to really, really pick thru them for the good ones and some roses I never got that year because none came up to my standards. Even so, I found that last year was the first time ever that I lost ANY Milk Carton Roses, so I should have been even more selective.

No matter now, this years crop are nice and healthy good quality. I bought six roses. I got FRANKLY SCARLETT a new J&P red Floribuna that I have seen in their catalog. I bought another BLACK MAGIC HT as I have one and wanted another last year but never got one. I bought LOVERS LANE, a gorgeous red with white reverse HT as I bought one of them last year and it died on me so this is a replacement. I bought DISNEYLAND as it was on my wish list since last year. I bought a CAREFREE DELIGHT. I have one I bought four years ago now, the first rose I got when I started my rose obsession and I just love this shrub rose. Been wanting another one so now I will have two. The sixth rose is a Floribunda impuse buy. I wanted to get a PASSIONATE KISSES as I bought one last year but it was one of the ones that died. So I saw HONEY BOUQUET. Its I kind of really pale, pale yellow I think, not sure. Supposed to have a great strong scent.

HONEY BOUQUET and FRANKLY SCARLETT are both own root. The CAREFREE DELIGHT does not look grafted but it does not have the New Generation logo on it for own roots. I guess you can't go by that. My old one is grafted but the graft is burried like all my roses.

Got some seeds I needed and my Rose Tone and off I went to my next stop, another well known local nursery. Unfortunately they had very few roses there so I mostly got my bagged manure and bagged compost so I can plant these I bought. They did however have TRAVIATA, another on my wish list for quite a while so you know I bought it. Was not a Milk Carton but rather a paper pot but its pretty much the same idea, just different growers. This one is a Star Roses. You should see the big thick gorgeous canes on the graft. I am sure its going to go great for me.

Comments (9)