SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Why are taller GH's better?

ole_dawg
16 years ago

Hello,

I have seen in various places that taller Gh's are better and I am wondering exactly why? I am getting to the stage that I must decide on how tall I want my GH. I am using a combination of 3/4" EMT, 1/2", and 1/2" PVC Conduit. The PVC being the arched/bowed top. I am joining the 1/2 and 3/4 inch EMT with a 6 inch joint. The 1/2 inch with a vinyl sleeve made from 3/4 OD vinyl tubing will side down into the 3/4 inch EMT with a VERY TIGHT fit. Several sheet metal screws will complete the joint. I am also allowing for 3 inches of the 3/4 inch EMT to be embedded into the 4 x 6 PT base. The base being stood on the 4" side. I don't think I need more as I will be tying the frame to the base with guy wire and turn buckles. In order to be economical I have only the option of 3 heights.

8.5 feet

9.0 feet

10.6 feet

Both the 9.0 and 10.6 will allow me to use a standard door height. At present I am leaning toward the 9.0 UNLESS THE 10.6 would have many more benifits.

In the opinion of those that know which height would be better and why.

I am including a pic of the top portion which is just about completed EXCEPT I have thought of a couple of more changes

{{gwi:300461}}

This pic only shows 2/3ths of the completed GH. I have one more 10 foot section to add. Most of the straight pipe shown is EMT so it is quite strong.

Comments (9)