SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve333_z5a_co_mtns

GH Tomato Growing Strategies

steve333_gw
9 years ago

I was hoping to get some feedback from other GH tomato growers on this question:

I have been growing GH tomatoes for ~ 10 years now. Up until this year, it was done in a 8x18' GH with somewhat limited space. Back in the early years, I experimented with different pruning styles. I tried the recommended spacing (2-3' between plants) and heavy side shoot pruning and got OK but not great yields. I then slid into a more "hands off" approach, with wider spacing and more or less letting the plants "do their thing" with minimal pruning.

My experience back then was that yields for the hands off approach were several times greater, although there was significantly more work in "cleaning up" from some of the overcrowding and disease issues that the massive plants would get, especially near the soil. On several years we got 100's of pounds of tomatoes, very literally, from 3 plants. Gave a lot away and made tons of sauce and salsa.

Well now I am reconsidering this approach. The messy, letting the plants do their own thing way has some drawbacks in the long run. And I now have a newer, bigger GH to grow tomatoes in.

So here is my question. Is there a better method of GH tomato growing that I should adopt for the big GH?

It seems to me that heavy pruning and 2' spacing does not really maximize yields in a GH (never did understand why commercial GHs use it). The big sprawl does work, but has some drawbacks too. I was considering a middle ground between the two. Perhaps 3-4' spacing, with say 3-4 main stems, and stripping foliage from the lowest 2' of the plant. Does this sound reasonable?

I am curious if any of the other GH tomato growers have experimented with this and what they came up with.

TIA

Comments (3)