SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miguelatf

Need Recommendations for replacement lawn Tractor

miguelatf
12 years ago

Hope I can get some help here. My old lawn tractor - a 1995 Simplicity Regent with a 14hp motor, a 38" deck & hydrostatic trans - which I've had for around 10 years (I bought it used) - is finally dying. The steering has more or less given out/gotten destroyed and the mower has been abused shamelessly. For the record, we have around 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre of even but rocky land which has weeds, obstacles, stones, and all manner of mower-destroying crap lying around. The Simplicity handled most of it well...but has been gradually falling apart for years. Also out here in Oregon it's virtually impossible to get replacement belts or anything else for it - as Simplicity's aren't sold on the West Coast. So buying another Simplicity isn't in the cards.

Also, my budget is limited right now. Ironically, I can afford to spend more for a new mower/tractor than a used one - because (duh) used equipment is a cash purchase - while buying new I can put it on credit, get deals, payment plans, etc. But that said, I've narrowed my current choices down to a small handful of possibilities and want feedback or suggestions. Here are the current possibilities -

1. a used 1999 heavyduty Craftsman with a 50" deck, a 25hp Briggs & Stratton V-Twin and a lot of bells & whistles. This mower/tractor has been used but very very well maintained by a caring owner; the asking price is somewhere around $750 which sounds reasonable....except for the age.

2. a 2009 "Professional" Craftsman with a 24 hp B & V-twin (with 'low' hours - only 22) & 42" deck. Basically a newer and slightly smaller version of #1 (though still larger than my old Simplicity) - asking price somewhere around $900

3. a used model 145 Deere, 22hp engine, 48" deck, approx $1100 (not sure what year)

4. Buying a NEW mower/lawn tractor which allows me to charge it and/or finance it. I realize that generally you can't get something inexpensive (aka cheap) and have it either last or have quality - but right now I'm cash/finance challenged so the idea of paying less is appealing. The two possibilities that interest me the most are -

4.a) a dirt-cheap 6 speed 42" 17.5 HP Ariens from Home DeSpot for "only" $999

4.b) one or two Craftsmen, including one with a 42" deck, hydrostatic trans, 21 hp B & S engine, discounted from around $1800 down to 'only' approx $1400

Hmmm...what else should be on the list?

I like Snappers - the old RER's - and would consider buying a newer Snapper lawn or garden tractor if the price and financing deal/s were right. And unlike Simplicity's (which aren't available on the West Coast, or in Oregon where I live) Snappers are plentiful - and have a good reputation.

I'm also fond of the older Ariens which had a local rep for being indestructible - but they're hard to find and the newer (and cheaper) ones which Home Despot sells seem tinny in comparison

Last but not least there is a local Deere dealer - but buying a Deere around here seems close to buying a Mercedes in the car world - you get quality but you have to pay through the nose for it.

So - there I am. I'd love some help in making up my mind - and as you can see from reading this - I'm all over the place.

Ideas? Suggestions? Reality checks?

Thanxxxx

Miguel

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions