SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thehelferfamily

Need help choosing lawn tractor/riding mower please!

thehelferfamily
16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would love some input on riding mowers. My husband is headed overseas with the coast guard and has left me the daunting task of choosing a lawn tractor. We live in MI and our house sits on 1/2 acre. We have a small garden area, lots of landscaping beds, and a large children's playset to mow around. Thanks to advice on the mower forum we picked up a toro super recycler self propelled mower last spring and have been using that all summer (I love that little mower!). Problem is it takes 2-2 1/2 hrs to mow the front and back yards and with 3 little ones at home (all under 6 yrs) I just don't have lots of time. Hubby used to do all the yardwork, but it will be just me until he gets home.

We are trying to narrow down our choices of riding mowers and would like to stay under $3000. Our neighbor has a snapper RER that would probably work for us, however we plan on selling this house in a few years and moving to a larger lot(thinking 1-2 acres). Hubby doesn't want to spend the $$ on a tractor that won't work for a larger parcel in the future. We like the snapper, simplicity and john deere brands but not really sure which is better or what model would fit our needs.

Also with attachments....we live in MI and get a fair amount of snow every year. Right now we have a single stage snapper snow blower, but it's a bit too small to clear our driveway of drifts. Are the snowblower attachments for the lawn tractors any good or is it better to get a dedicated unit?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been trying to read as many previous posts as I can, but my head is spinning from all the choices.

Sorry for the long post!

Heather

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions