SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vox87

Help choosing a riding mower and attachments

vox87
16 years ago

I'm having a hard time trying to decide on which "riding mower" is the best for my needs and not an overkill (including any attachments).

I just recently purchased a new home that sets on a .90 acre lot. This will be the very first time that'll have to care for a yard and landscaping. In the past, my yards were typically small and required no up keep or, it had a landscaping crew (rentals).

The lot is some what flat up front however, it slopes slightly towards the back. Not sure, what degree of incline but, its not a steep slope. More of a gradual one, I guess.

Being a new home, you can still make out the bermuda sod near the road (put in by the developers of the subdivision). The rest of the yard is made up of fescue, I believe or, maybe a mix.

I've been to Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, and to John Deere to shop for a tractor. I've listened to all the sales pitches and I've read numerous posts on engines, longevity, deck thinkness, extra features, transmissions, etc... etc... etc... till MY EYES HAVE GONE CROSSEYED and I still can't come up with a decision. Total overload. Then again, I'm coming off shopping for a new washer, dryer, and fridge.

So, I know mowing will be my main task. However, again being new to all of this, I'm assuming I'm going to need a aerator/spreader to help bring along the grass that hasn't fully covered up all the bare spots of the yard (still can see that beautiful North Carolina red clay/dirt).

With that, I'm assuming I'm going to need something with some pulling power? Assuming, red clay offers up more resistance than regular dirt, when pulling an aerator?

I can say my brands of choice (so far) would be the typical ones suggested on here (Craftsman, Husqvarna, and John Deere). I haven't found a dealer for Toro, Simplicity, or Kubota to rule them out. But, Cub Cadet and Troy-Bilt didn't really appeal to me.

As for which models, I can step into Lowes and say the Husqvarna YTH2348 works for me ($1800). Or, for $200 more, I can buy a John Deere LA130 at Home Depot. Or, for the same price as the LA130, only with more features, I can get a Craftsman DYS 4500 (27690). Only, to step into the John Deere dealership to be told, what I really need is a X304.

So, basically, I'm just trying to find something thats going to be a solid machine for my needs of mowing and for lawn/landscaping maintenance.

I'm not sure, what I'll need beyond that. I'm still trying to understand the whole "mulching" thing with the different blades. One person will tell me the stock blades will cut (mulch) the grass up enough not to kill the existing grass but, another will tell me to buy some new blades to mulch the grass better. umm k... lol

Anyways, thanks for any help/opinions on this and, sorry for the long book of a post. ;)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions