SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

Gas Weedeater - Hlep i keep going in circles

ncage
14 years ago

Ok i had a small weedeater featherlight gas trimmer that i bought at walmart like 5-6 years ago that just dies. I think its the ignition coil. Anyways of course its better just to get something new. The weedeater was good for what it cost. It would start easily up into the day it died. Maybe it was a "little" underpowered but not horrible.

Then i start researching what to buy. Of course most people say to stay away from anything made by MTD which is most everything out there. I do know for the most part my weedeater worked fine. I don't have that much to trim (1/4 acre) and probably only trim once a week. The only thing i can say i really hated about the weedeater was having to reload the spool. It would take me forever to get it write and without that it would tangle all the time.

The area where the featherlight was a little bit underpowered was in the very back of my lot. Its not often but sometimes in the summer the horse weed will get a head start and cutting it down was a real chore with the little weedeater.

So anyways i went back and forth today whether to go cheap or not. Saying that i know i will not spend over $200-$250 on anything.

So i decided to go cheap at first today. Went to lowes and they had a Bolens BL100 on clearance for $59.99. Thought what the heck my last one lasted 5-6 years and this one had a much bigger engine (31cc) compared to the tiny engine my featherlight had (forgot the size). Of course now i'm having second thoughts but i'll have no problem returning it if i want to because its still sealed in the box. I searched on google and got lots of people having issues with this trimmer (of course only the people having issues are probably going to ever post anything).

What would you guys do with the minimal trimming i do? I did look at a variety of more expensive units today (Stihl, Echo, Honda (cheapest was $350 so out of my price ranger). The Stihl seems heavier duty and have a lot bigger engines than echo and also echo are more expensive. You can get a cheap curved shaft stihl for $150 but a echo is $199 and the Stihl has a bigger engine. 21cc in a lot of the Echo seem inadequate. Then i read some post that are negative about stihl...a guy posted that his coil went out on his stihl after 4 years and ive read a few saying they can be hard to start.

Then if i wanted to get a Stihl how to choose which model to get. I definitly will get a home and not a professional model but its hard to see what features your getting when you pay more. I think one of the main ones is easystart which i have no idea if its worth it or not. The sales guys didn't help much. I could see a big difference between the straight shaft and curved shaft of the stihls was the spools which of course i'm wandering about because how much of a pain it was to load my earlier trimmer. Then the more expensive ones seem to have a different gas cap and a different spark plug cover.

As you could tell this had been a hard decision for me and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Ncage

Comments (18)